Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

October 31, 2014, 01:09:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: FundraisingLoans spreadsheet  (Read 22150 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest were last seen viewing this topic.
YowieFreak
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »

This spreadsheet gets details of all loans which are currently in Fundraising status on Kiva.

The user has a choice of asking for a "simple" listing or a "detailed" listing.  The "simple" listing will show for each loan:
  • Business ID
  • Name
  • Date Posted
  • Country
  • Field Partner
  • Field Partner Rating
  • Loan Amount
  • Amount Checked Out
  • Amount in Baskets
  • Amount Left to Fund
  • Sector - e.g. Retail, Food, Agriculture
  • Activity - e.g. Cosmetic Sales, Bakery, Animal Sales
  • Use - i.e. a short description of what the loan will be used for - e.g. "To purchase shoe-making supplies"

The "detailed" listing, which takes longer to obtain all the data from Kiva, shows all the above plus:
  • Female % - i.e. what percentage of the entrepreneurs on the loan are female - 100% for an individual female, 0% for an individual male, somewhere between the two extremes for a group loan
  • Non-Payment Risk - I believe this is whether it is the lender or the partner who takes on the risk of defaults
  • Currency Risk - i.e. whether the currency risk is "Covered" by the Partner, "Shared" by the Partner and the lender, or "N/A" because the loan is in USD$
  • Loan months (borrower) - i.e. period from when the entrepreneur gets their money and when they are due to make the last repayment
  • Loan months (lender) - i.e. period from now until when the lender is expected to receive back their last credit
  • Description - the full English description as shown on the Kiva website
  • Disbursal Date
  • Date First Repayment Due
  • list of Repayment amounts

Once details are loaded, the user can place an amount against each loan they wish to fund and then press an "Add To Basket" button, which will open up a new browser window with a pre-populated basket.

Obviously (or maybe not) the details can be sorted, filtered, etc once they have been loaded into the Excel spreadsheet.

Attached are two versions of the spreadsheet - v1.02 uses msxml.dll, and v1.02.6 uses msxml6.dll.

I recommend people use v1.02.6 unless they don't have msmxl6.dll installed on their computer and aren't willing to install it (e.g. on company computers, etc).

* Kiva_FundraisingLoans_v1.02.xls (259 KB - downloaded 523 times.)
* Kiva_FundraisingLoans_v1.02.6.xls (295.5 KB - downloaded 1200 times.)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:03:09 AM by YowieFreak » Logged
YowieFreak
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:43:58 PM »

I have ripped the fundraising loan stuff out of the Summary spreadsheet and put it into a separate one.

I have also added an extra column to the sheet, showing the Posted Date for each loan.  This allows me to create a summary showing how much is left to be funded before various expiry dates (and graph that amount too).

Hopefully that will allow people to keep track of whether loans are likely to go unfunded or not.

I have just uploaded v0.01 (obviously a "beta" version) to see if anyone wants anything changed prior to v1.00 being released.

P.S.  I intend to keep the most up-to-date version of the spreadsheet attached to the first message in this thread.

* FundingNeeded.jpg (50.04 KB, 598x460 - viewed 859 times.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 05:16:08 PM by YowieFreak » Logged
Unilove
Kiva Supporter
Los Angeles, CA

The more we learn, the more we lend!

View Profile
« Reply To This #2 on: July 04, 2009, 03:18:16 AM »

Thank you.  You are, simply, amazing.

*** the Kiva Fellows are my heroes! ***
Kathy
Kiva Supporter
Calgary

View Profile
« Reply To This #3 on: July 06, 2009, 05:05:17 PM »

Holy Hannah! You're amazing. This is totaly cool. Thanks!

"Few things are needful to make the wise man happy, but nothing satisfies the fool---and this is the reason why so many of mankind are miserable."  - La Rochefoucauld
Kathy
Kiva Supporter
Calgary

View Profile
« Reply To This #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:02:33 PM »

Just want to say  Thank You again!

I actually used the spreadsheet to make 4 loans (on the four oldest loans) and matched with donation this afternoon. It made it really simple and easy. I've bookmarked it and will be using it again and again and again (well, when I've got more money that is). I like how you can change the filters to be what you're looking for. It's way quicker than the site and since I don't really read the 'stories' (gasp! I know, I know how odd) it makes the entire process that much simpler.

"Few things are needful to make the wise man happy, but nothing satisfies the fool---and this is the reason why so many of mankind are miserable."  - La Rochefoucauld
YowieFreak
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #5 on: August 08, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »

Version 1.00

I have just updated the spreadsheet and attached it to the first post in this thread.

This version will show, on the "Kiva partner data" tab, which partners have loans currently fundraising in each of the three possible currency loss categories - "possible", "covered" and "n/a".

Edit:  This feature only works when you use the "Detailed" button, not the "Simple" button.  That's because the currency loss details are only accessible from the "detailed" loan call to the API.

(I have also started calling it "possible" currency loss instead of "shared" currency loss, to make it consistent with the Kiva website.)

This version also directly writes the current time (PST) into cell B1 of the "Summary" tab, so that the date/times on the summary page always match up with when the macros last refreshed the loan details.

That is the only cell on that tab which is used by the macros so, if you want to, you can safely add extra rows into the table on that tab, or extra columns, etc, etc.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:07:31 PM by YowieFreak » Logged
YowieFreak
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #6 on: September 16, 2009, 04:36:13 PM »

Version 1.01

I have just updated the spreadsheet and attached it to the first post in this thread.

Loans that were disbursed in USD$ (and therefore had no currency risk to lenders), but which were stored in Kiva's data as "shared" currency risk, were incorrectly being shown as "Shared" currency risk in the spreadsheet.

This has now been changed so that they will show as "N/A" (i.e. to be the same as the other USD$ loans where the lender has no potential currency risk).
RichardF
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #7 on: October 10, 2009, 12:22:17 AM »

Hi Ian,

Would you be willing to add a "See all fundraising loans from this field partner" type of column?  The current links on the Kiva partner data tab go to their profile pages, which is fine, but having a link to all the partner's Fundraising loans would be a nice addition here.  And as long as I'm asking, sorting by Repayment Term would be nice too.
 Smiley

An example of how this would work for some partners is at the list:

Fundraising Loans NOT Sharing Currency Exchange Loss

Soul lives by giving.
YowieFreak
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #8 on: October 10, 2009, 01:07:14 AM »

Would you be willing to add a "See all fundraising loans from this field partner" type of column?  The current links on the Kiva partner data tab go to their profile pages, which is fine, but having a link to all the partner's Fundraising loans would be a nice addition here.  And as long as I'm asking, sorting by Repayment Term would be nice too.

I could ask why, instead of going to each individual partner's page (one by one) to see their fundraising loans, you just don't sort the "Fundraising Loans" tab into repayment term order and then use a filter on the Partner column to look at the Partners you are interested in (one by one).  Or, even better, sort on the repayment term and then filter on the currency risk column to see the non-shared currency risk loans from all Partners all at once.

P.S.  I'm thinking of changing the spreadsheet (sometime in the next month or two [perhaps]) to allow people to specify that they want to exclude certain MFIs, certain currency-risk types, certain terms, etc prior to it populating the data.  The ability to exclude certain MFIs would speed up the time taken in obtaining the data when using the "detailed" button.
RichardF
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #9 on: October 10, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »

My particular "why" is that, even though I find your spreadsheets very useful for various purposes, e.g., finding duplicate listings, I still prefer the image-oriented Kiva Lend Page for browsing selected subsets of listings.  The operational problem is that Kiva's filters and sorts are inadequate for many lenders.  I agree no new functionality would be introduced here, just convenience of a sort.  I already have my own browser folders set up with my favorite partners, and I just open them all in different tabs when the mood calls.  If you haven't already received 500 PMs requesting something like this, I guess it's really no big deal.

Soul lives by giving.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: