Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

July 24, 2014, 02:25:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: Other Pleasures  (Read 21993 times)
0 Members and 2 Guests were last seen viewing this topic.
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #60 on: February 12, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »

There’s a lot to be fascinated by out there.  All kinds of pleasures to be had.

Some recurring themes here, at least in connection with some particular pleasures of mine:
The fun and ease of learning through pictures.  The gift that never stops giving I’ve found in To Kill A Mockingbird.  The infinite magic and springboard to learning of the Internet.   Peace.

This morning, I fell down the rabbit hole and got totally and happily ensnared in some of the photo collections at the website for the English newspaper, the Guardian.  I’m going to give you a bunch of links and will post a representative picture from most of them to give you the flavor.  I got tremendous enjoyment out of a lot of these.  You might find some of that same stuff for yourselves.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- The first picture below is the one that got me started.  I thought it was incredible. It was from a collection of images of what a “real” winter looks like and makes what most of us have experienced here in the United States this year look like a non-event..
People slide along the promenade past ice-covered cars and trees on the shores of Lake Geneva in Versoix, Switzerland.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2- Indian Boys Dress Up As Gandhi.
What turns out to be an annual festival has been featured here, before.  I selected the photo I did from this year's lookalike contest because I thought that this particular kid carried himself with the perfect Gandhian bearing.
On the eve of the anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi's death, 485 (under-privileged) boys dressed up as Gandhi at a peace rally in Calcutta, in a bid to create a new Guinness World Record and promote non-violent protest.

3-To Kill A Mockingbird original artwork - in pictures

4- Michelle Obama's Let's Move! campaign - in pictures
Maybe you have to be of a particular political persuasion to enjoy these pictures, I’m not sure.  I kind of hope not but wouldn’t be totally shocked if that turned out to be the case.

5- Lunchboxes made of awesome – in pictures
In what has to be the most time-consuming way of making sure your children eat properly, parents in Japan have been turning their lunchboxes into works of art known as Kyaraben or cartoon bento.  Now the trend has spread to the US where graphic designer Heather Sitarzewski has been making her son his own pasta Miss Piggys and grape-nosed Mickey Mouses every day, and posting the results at lunchboxawesome.tumblr.com.  Suddenly, cutting off the sandwich crusts seems like less of a chore…

I love food art.  I thought that these were particularly delectable.
http://lunchboxawesome.tumblr.com/

6-Belfast peace walls - in pictures
This last picture I’m including not so much because I was so enamoured of the photo collection where I found it.  No, it was just that I really really liked the sentiment that someone painted on one of the Irish peace walls, and I fantasize about the day when it might be something more than a dream painted in someone's imagination.

AFTERTHOUGHT: Wanted to tell any of you app-people out there that Fotopedia just came out with a new and exquisite one, Women of the World.  Like my all-time favorite, Memory of Colors, it's a treasure trove of riches (she says, redundantly).

EDIT ON AN AFTERTHOUGHT: Still caught up in the exhilaration of the (Internet magic carpet) ride I just took, on another whim, I decided to google the photographer, Olivier Martel, whose work was featured in that new Fotopedia app that I just told you about.  How grateful I feel for a curiosity that doesn’t want to quit and for all those whims I seem to keep having

because, look at what I just found:
http://www.olivier-martel.com/lang-en/biographie.html
I’m especially intrigued by the contents of the subcategory, “Health,” that he has listed here under “Coverages.”  Sometime, I’ll have to see what I can find on that.  For now, I’m more than contented that I happened on this.

EDIT #2, and then, I think I’m done.
Just learned about an American secretary who became a *king* of a 7,000 peopled-Ghanaian town.  Fun story.  A book is about to be released.
In Ghanaian Village, American Woman Reigns As King

Some fun pics of King Peggy can be found here.

And then there's the video:

* People-walk-along-an-icy--005.jpg (71.54 KB, 720x480 - viewed 61 times.)

* Around-485-under-priviled-002.jpg (70.87 KB, 720x480 - viewed 71 times.)

* To-Kill-A-Mockingbird-lob-004.jpg (103.99 KB, 638x480 - viewed 62 times.)

* First-lady-Michelle-Obama-003.jpg (40.83 KB, 324x600 - viewed 64 times.)

* A-pasta-Miss-Piggy-001.jpg (83.89 KB, 400x536 - viewed 65 times.)

* The-Peace-Wall-runs-along-012.jpg (117.82 KB, 720x480 - viewed 65 times.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:55:04 AM by Jill » Logged
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #61 on: February 23, 2012, 01:03:38 PM »

I’m apparently on quite the musical roll these days.  I’m not sure why.  

It’s partly related, I’m sure, to my having discovered El Sistema, the Oakland Public Conservatory of Music, and Buskaid Soweto Strings not all that long ago.  I’m sure it’s also strongly related to the fact that I want to be careful not to neglect any of the really important music I’ll want to take to Africa to share with Florence and Irene, and we’re hoping and planning, with a whole bunch of others.  It’s probably mostly related to the fact that I just really really love music, and for whatever reason, I seem to be getting even more enjoyment and comfort from it, the older that I get.  I feel really lucky about that.

Was pleased, this morning, to find that these two favorites had been posted on youtube.  Fella and I serenade each other with them every day, although he shatters substantially fewer windows with his singing voice than I do.

I’m Your Doggie

You’re A Good Dog

(For some reason, they neglected to post the equally musically sophisticated and lovely piece, “ I Love Food,” that’s part of the same collection, Songs To Make Dogs Happy.  If you want to hear some nice dinner music, you can check it out, here).

P.S. : Not related, except that they’re “music,” and I love them, I’m wondering how many of you might have already come across a couple others of my favorites......

The Duck Song

Every Sperm is Sacred

NOTE: The second picture below is of Fella and his best bud, Benji.  I have never seen two animals be so absolutely ecstatic in one another’s company.  You can’t help but smile when you watch the JOY OF DOG, caninified.

* FellaOnTheFly410 tweaked.jpg (473.85 KB, 548x640 - viewed 78 times.)

* BestBuds.jpg (21.11 KB, 320x238 - viewed 190 times.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:06:04 PM by Jill » Logged
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #62 on: March 22, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »

In part, but only in part because both ducks and river otters have been frequent visitors to Splashdown, but mostly because each of these two videos, at least for an animal lover, is, I think, inherently wonderful, I LOVED these 2 videos.  I saw the first one when half-watching Rachel Maddow yesterday evening.  I was so very pleased to be able to find it just now on the Internet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/18/dog-river-otter-play-cute-ridiculous_n_1357915.html?ref=mostpopular

EDIT: For fellow Spring-Savorers, this Boston.com Big Picture collection is a smile:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/03/signs_of_spring_2012.html

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:23:23 PM by Jill » Logged
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #63 on: May 04, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »

I have, for the longest time, thought that it would be fun to fly.  And ascribing, as I do, to the sentiment expressed by Jules Verne in the frontispiece of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, that

What Man Can Conceive, Man (Woman) Can Achieve,”

I’ve long believed that it’s always just been a matter of time and that eventually, we mortals might one day have an easier time of it than Icarus did, and hopefully, one with a happier ending.  While I’m not quite ready, myself, to strap on the jet-propelled wings that this guy used (he’s going way too fast for me), I still got a kick out of his fearlessness and envied his flight.  Maybe one of these days….

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/04/jetman-soars-over-rio-flies-circles-around-historical-landmarks/
http://www.seattlepi.com/national/slideshow/Stunning-images-as-Jetman-flies-over-Rio-42483.php#photo-2893096

It’s Amazing The Things You Can Find On The Internet and Without Even Looking For Them!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:12:16 PM by Jill » Logged
Amy-in-PHX
Kiva Supporter
Phoenix, AZ

View Profile
« Reply To This #64 on: May 04, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »

But why did the sloth cross the road?   Laugh

We can do no great things - only small things with great love.     (Mother Teresa)
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #65 on: June 22, 2012, 08:29:16 AM »

It’s the (not so) small things in life…..

(It was the picture at the bottom along with the mental image of this lovely “Gaga”, all dressed up and milking a cow, surrounded by a herd of boisterous, finger-pointing, absolutely delighted, giggling little kids that brought this morning’s smile and generated this post).

Lady Gaga Costume Is Principal's Promise in Reading Challenge
Pet Therapy: Some Hospitals Allow Patients' Own Dogs to Visit

EDIT: And, conveniently or inconveniently, depending on your perspective, since the following commercial just came on while I was in the process of posting the above and since, for me, it's always a smile, if you haven't yet seen this or even if you have, check out:

EDIT#2:  Don’t know if it was being able to see Lassie again, seeing the goofy Golden gamboling about, the reference to solving (the conundrum of how to achieve) world peace, or whether it was any one of a number of other internal grin-giving aspects of the following, but I just now discovered some more of that pleasure stuff, here, if you have any interest in checking it out:
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/dogs-health-benefits-humans-16607062

* ht_boston_principal_gaga_wy_120621_wmain-1.jpg (57.83 KB, 630x355 - viewed 58 times.)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:07:42 PM by Jill » Logged
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #66 on: July 07, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »

Loving and having terrific respect and admiration for incredibly hardworking (and good basic real people) farmers and ranchers as I’ve long had, it was probably pretty predictable I’d get a kick out of this.  Actually, I JUST TRULY LOVED IT!

Farm Parody of “Sexy and I Know It” Goes Viral

EDIT: How funny. You know, I’m evidently such an old dinosaur fuddy-duddy that even though, just because of the osmosis of the cultural ethos, I knew the title, “Sexy and I Know It,” and was familiar with its throbbing (!) refrain, unlike what I incredulously discovered has been over 240 million other individuals, I’d apparently never seen the youtube presentation of it until this morning.  What happened was that when the good friend I have here now visiting from Mexico came downstairs after I’d posted the preceding, I wanted to share with him the sweet cute funny farmer brothers who’d made my early morning.  

I wanted to show him how part of its charm and funny value was due to its being a parody of the other song, so, I went to youtube to track it down.  I almost immediately realized I’d never seen it before, myself, and I just tittered, giggled, blushed (not!) and laughed, myself, all the way through it.

For some people it might be a little suggestive, so, if you haven’t ever seen it, then check it out if you want to, but only with that caveat in mind.  For me, it made the farmer parody even that much more wonderful, and as you know, I’d already been charmed by it before I saw this other.

Sexy and I Know It

While happily still on the farmer/rancher theme, here are a couple of old posts a few of you might have missed.  Or, even if you’d seen them, returning to them may cause you to choose to have another look-through a couple of threads that, for me, over the years, provided a happy lot of learning and other kinds of pleasure.
http://www.kivafriends.org/index.php/topic,1692.msg23624.html#msg23624  
(And see, too, at least, the post that immediately preceded this one)

http://www.kivafriends.org/index.php/topic,1185.msg12426.html#msg12426  

EDIT #2: And speaking of how much I love farmers and ranchers and why I do, a couple of the best people and some of the happiest times I have ever, ever known were in Mud Butte, South Dakota.  See, below.

* Martie Patterson-Mud Butte 70's.jpg (325.96 KB, 480x640 - viewed 68 times.)

* LambingatthePattersons-Bill&Friends.jpg (381.08 KB, 513x640 - viewed 68 times.)

* Bill&SomeoftheKids-MudButteEarly70's.jpg (299.25 KB, 640x480 - viewed 67 times.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:09:28 PM by Jill » Logged
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #67 on: July 22, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »

The service-pups-to-be, mentioned in the Music That Isn’t thread the other day, are being more and more topsy-turvy, pounce-and-bounce, smile-in-your-day entertaining.  They’re four weeks old today.

Sometime, maybe in the next half hour or so, they’re supposed to have their very first time outside, in the little-more-real world.  If you track the comments on the page, you can learn about the day’s schedule and more by reading the posts of
WarriorCanineConnection.
http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/service-puppy-cam

Almost lost Fella the other day.  A panic-stricken drive to the Emergency Veterinary Hospital at 1:30 in the morning.  He was operated on an hour and a half later, a surgery just like the one that Jack had had, the scariest "deja vu, all over again" feeling like you can only partly imagine.  With his only slightly subdued self, asleep, now, at my feet and his not seeming a whole lot worse for the wear, it looks like the story, this time, is maybe going to have a happier ending.   Life.....

The pic I'm attaching is of Fella ringing an old Swiss cow bell, a gift from my mom.  It’s a good trick, (clicker training is very fun), but not near as good as his having learned to “smile" on command which I endeavored to teach him after he kept on giving me his serious face every time I wanted to get a good picture of him.  Usually, his “smile on command” smile looks pretty fake, actually, most of the time it looks pretty sick, but it makes me laugh every time he flashes it, so, for me, it's worth its weight in golden.
Cheap thrills….

* ItTollsForThee.jpg (304.8 KB, 640x478 - viewed 72 times.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:22:24 PM by Jill » Logged
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #68 on: July 22, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:00:59 PM by Jill » Logged
Natasha
Kiva Supporter
Australia

View Profile
« Reply To This #69 on: July 22, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »

Jill,

I do hope that Fella recovers quickly and fully soon.

Cheers,
Natasha
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: