Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

September 16, 2014, 04:25:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!
Home Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30   Go Down
Bookmark This | E-Mail This | Print It
Author Topic: Journal entries that make an impact  (Read 59397 times)
0 Members and 2 Guests were last seen viewing this topic.
Wood Fairy Glenda
Kiva Supporter
Madison, WI

View Profile
« Reply To This #10 on: November 25, 2007, 10:54:30 AM »

How can we join you in this, Khang?  I have no idea how to send money to someone in another country. Do you have some sort of account with Mekong Plus?

Wood Fairy Glenda
Dottie b
Kiva Supporter
Alexandria, VA

View Profile
« Reply To This #11 on: November 25, 2007, 12:08:56 PM »

I was wondering, too.

I went to the Mekong Plus web site and found it very interesting, but it's not geared to the US donor. They do have a version in English, but donations are in Euros, and the quilt shop is in Viet Nam, with an outlet in France. (I was hoping maybe they had mail-order!)  Smiley

Dottie B
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 12:09:19 PM by Dottie b » Logged
Diane R
Administrator
Bay Area, CA

View Profile
« Reply To This #12 on: November 25, 2007, 12:11:47 PM »

I wrote a PM to Khang earlier today to suggest the same thing.  He responded that he has a way to get money to them directly, and would not mind at all if we were to assist.  I am thinking of a small effort along the lines of the Mark Agwonah/Mama Mark funds which we funded over the summer.

If anyone else is interested, let me know and we can start a separate thread for this.  I may be able to use the Paypal ID for the Mama Mark Fund and get the funds to Khang for dispersal.  Just a thought...

--Diane.
Eli
Kiva Supporter

Make coffee, not war [_]2

View Profile
« Reply To This #13 on: November 25, 2007, 01:08:25 PM »

I'm in - - she grabbed my heart right away, hence my posting.  But I have to do it in a small way or I'll get nixed from my Kivafriends.

In the end, we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we have been taught.
                           ~Baba Dioum, Senegal
Wood Fairy Glenda
Kiva Supporter
Madison, WI

View Profile
« Reply To This #14 on: November 25, 2007, 03:36:10 PM »

Me too, Diane Smiley ... and I ditto the "small way" comment - I'm getting down to the small change Piggy Bank (15 or so sponsored children through various organizations, 2 Women for Women "sisters" who are war survivors, a couple privately funded projects in countries I've visited, 2 sponsored Ugandan vocational school students..... and Kiva loans!....not to mention a kazillion "do-gooder" organizations).  Gotta save some for my much-loved trips. Wink

Wood Fairy Glenda
khang
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #15 on: November 25, 2007, 06:47:04 PM »

Hi Kiva friends,
I ditto the "small way".
Please let Diane know if you are interested to contribute (i hope that you don't mind Diane o;) )
I think that for the repair of the hut, it has to go through Mekong Plus because they will supervise the work. So we would have to send the money to Mekong Plus. I know that they have an online donation service on their web site. I've sent an email to the Mekong Plus staff who had responded to me initially about how to transfer the money. As soon as I hear from him, I'll post the information here in this thread (or another thread)
I also know a way how to send the money directly to Ms Cao (we send money back to VN all the time)

If the total amount is not too great, to make it simple you can send me the money in Kiva credit (gotta some loans to make in 2008 anyway).
That way it is easier for everyone and there is no transaction fee.

Thank you so much, you guys are a great bunch

Khang
Diane R
Administrator
Bay Area, CA

View Profile
« Reply To This #16 on: November 27, 2007, 11:16:36 AM »

As Khang mentions, I am collecting funds for Ms. Cao right now, so if you are interested in contributing please send me a private message so I can give you the Paypal address. 

--Diane.
Eli
Kiva Supporter

Make coffee, not war [_]2

View Profile
« Reply To This #17 on: November 27, 2007, 12:01:50 PM »

As Khang mentions, I am collecting funds for Ms. Cao right now, so if you are interested in contributing please send me a private message so I can give you the Paypal address. 
--Diane.

Money sent.  Thanks Diane for setting this up for us.  Mrs. Cao certainly has been in my thoughts.

In the end, we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we have been taught.
                           ~Baba Dioum, Senegal
Kay
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #18 on: November 27, 2007, 12:14:30 PM »

Yes, I was very touched by this, also.
khang
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #19 on: November 27, 2007, 12:28:19 PM »

Good morning Kiva friends,
I received an email from Mekong Plus today. Please see below for the original email and my translation.
Let's figure out how are we going to proceed: if the total contribution is more than 450 usd then do we send it all to Mekong Plus or we send 450 and the rest will be sent directly to Ms Cao (since we have her address, this can be done with a private service that will deliver to her in person)

Khang

"Dear ...
We are happy to receive your response concerning the case of Ms Nguyen Thi Cao and the orphan. We are coordinating a community effort to rebuild her house. The child will attend day care. For this case, we are involved directly. We will supervise the construction. Thank you very much Kiva friends for taking this in heart. On behalf of the family, we are sending our sincere thanks for your precious help. You can wire the fund to ...  "

"Xin chao Anh Khang,
Rat vui mung duoc mail phuc dap cua Anh ve Case Ba Nguyen Thi Cao va dua tre mo coi. Chung toi dang huy dong cong dong cung gop suc lam nha cho Ba Cao. Con dua tre se cho di mau giao. Du an chung toi dang quan ly truc tiep se giup ho tro va theo doi .Rat cam on anh va nhom Kiva quan tam ve Case nay. Thay mat gia dinh nay xin gui loi cam on su giup do qui bau nay. Xin gui qua so tai khoan cua Mekong plus theo dia chi sau:
For a transfer in euros to Vietnam:
#3734063 (euros)
Mekong Plus
ANZ
11 cong truong M Linh
district 1, H Ch Minh City
Swift: ANZBVNVX472

Many thanks
Tai Dai Thanh "
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30   Go Up
Bookmark This | E-Mail This | Print It
Jump to: