Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

April 24, 2014, 01:05:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: Learning Through Pictures: Usually Painless & Sometimes, Incredibly Powerful  (Read 30991 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest were last seen viewing this topic.
Jill
« Reply To This #110 on: December 04, 2009, 09:36:39 PM »

A smile of a news photo.

Apparently, her new album has skyrocketed to the top of the U.S. charts.  It's nice to see that she may be getting the last laugh after all. 
Click on the pic to make that a really resounding ho ho ho!

* boyle_t607.jpg (106.09 KB, 607x917 - viewed 146 times.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:40:01 PM by Jill » Logged
Jill
« Reply To This #111 on: February 12, 2010, 08:53:04 PM »

DANCE! 
Never was any good at it.   Always loved to do it.  Have always been a whole lot less self-conscious about it when I’ve done my dancing in the closet.   The diversity of dance, the creativity in dance, and the almost unimaginable skill and beauty that sometimes can be found in dance are well represented at the three links I’m giving below.   The few pictures I’m posting are just to get you in the dance door.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/dance_around_the_world.html

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/10/tango.html

Pic #1: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater members Antonio Douthit, Glenn Allen Sims and Kirven Boyd. U.S. (Andrew Eccles)         

Pic #2: Monks from the Shaolin Temple in China rehearse inside wooden boxes as part of a dance entitled "Sutra" choreographed by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui - part of the annual Singapore Arts Festival, Wednesday May 20, 2009.(AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)         

Pic #3: Chamara Tomlinson performs a traditional Praise Dance in front of the casket of Spc. Roberto A. Hernandez II, 21, of Far Rockaway, New York, during his funeral June 12, 2009 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. Spc. Hernandez was killed of wounds sustained when his mounted patrol was attacked with an improvised explosive device and small arms fire on June 2 in Paktya, Afghanistan. (Spencer Platt/Getty Images)         

Pic #4: Children in a camp for homeless families in the Belair section of Port-au-Prince, Haiti practice capoeira, an Afro-Brazilian art form that combines elements of martial arts, music and dance on Sunday Jan. 24, 2010. The program, run by Viva Rio, a Brazilian nongovernmental organization, is designed to help children affected by the Jan. 12 earthquake, recover their emotional well-being. (AP Photo/Paul Jeffery, Act Alliance)   

Pic #5: Honda's humanoid robot "Asimo" leads pupils in a dance at a primary school during its first appearance in Wuhan, Hubei province, China on May 26, 2009. (REUTERS/Stringer)       

Pic #6: Pakistani eunuch dancer Roomia, dances during a wedding as the bride, Nazia watches the performance in Rawalpindi on January 9, 2010. Mocked, pitied and disowned by society, Pakistan's eunuchs are usually reduced to earning a living on the streets begging or prostituting themselves. Once granted a favoured status in the Mughal empire's court, they are traditionally paid to help celebrate the birth of a son, or to dance at weddings. But in Muslim Pakistan, where sexual relations outside marriage are taboo and homosexuality is illegal, eunuchs are also treated as sex objects and often become the victims of violent assault. (BEHROUZ MEHRI/AFP/Getty Images) 

Pic #7: Nilza and Claudemir Pires de Souza, of Brazil, strike a pose during the qualifying rounds of the 7th Tango Dance World Championship in Buenos Aires, Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2009. (AP Photo/Natacha Pisarenko)

So far as posting went,  it was either here or in the Art thread.  But since there’s a lot of learning to be had from these photos, particularly from the captions accompanying some of them,  and…. because the Art thread has gotten quite a bit of traffic, lately, (take that from one who knows), I opted to post these really wonderful dance photos here.

REMEMBER
:  These came from the Boston Globe's Big Picture series, so please do click on them to make them     BIG!.

* d07_19229471.jpg (141.64 KB, 990x679 - viewed 116 times.)

* d29_19074987.jpg (178.11 KB, 990x650 - viewed 176 times.)

* d24_19351655.jpg (234.61 KB, 990x599 - viewed 126 times.)

* d03_21931157.jpg (107.81 KB, 990x532 - viewed 108 times.)

* d05_19149835.jpg (185.27 KB, 990x675 - viewed 104 times.)

* d21_21995099.jpg (266.08 KB, 990x674 - viewed 124 times.)

* t15_20117889.jpg (98 KB, 990x659 - viewed 113 times.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:42:56 PM by Jill » Logged
A Nonny Mouse
Kiva Supporter
Earthquake Country, USA

View Profile
« Reply To This #112 on: April 21, 2010, 11:46:02 PM »

Purple Bolts at Iceland Volcano
Photograph by Marco Fulle, Barcroft/Fame Pictures

Italian photographer and scientist Marco Fulle flew at sunset on Sunday over Iceland's erupting Eyjafjallajökull volcano to capture this picture of purple lightning bolts streaking through the sky.

Much of the lightning generated by the Iceland volcano is better termed long sparks, said the University of Florida's Uman. Those may include a new type of lightning recently found over an Alaska volcano.

It's unknown how such sparks form, though one possibility is that electrically charged silica—an ingredient of magma—interacts with the atmosphere when it bursts out of Earth's crust, Steve McNutt of the Alaska Volcano Observatory said in February.

More pictures here:  http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/04/photogalleries/100419-iceland-volcano-lightning-ash-pictures/#iceland-volcano-lightning-1_19113_600x450.jpg
Jill
« Reply To This #113 on: August 06, 2010, 01:49:51 PM »

The first three pictures, below, are from the Boston Globe’s website feature, its really spectacular “Big Picture” series.  These 3 pics come from its most current presentation about the “Severe Flooding in Pakistan.”  Then, wanting, as before, to keep Haiti from disappearing from our very-short-attention-spanning minds, I went in search of a picture to post of Haitians and found this really wonderful one, or, Picture #4, from the university, M.I.T.’s  (the highly respected Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s) website about clean water projects.  (Think Partners in Health, Partners in Health, or of any one of a number of other fine organizations who have chosen to stick with the Haitian people for the long haul). 

We are all related
.  Or, as a sweetly beautiful little boy named Nkosi once said, “We Are All the Same.” Or, “do not ask for whom the bell tolls….” ***
When it tolls for the Pakistanis or the Haitians or the Indonesians or for anyone, it tolls for all of us.

Then, on a lighter note and though totally unrelated, to top off this morning’s picture show, I’m posting a photograph that I think I came across on the pretty wonderful website, stumbleupon.com.  This photograph gives me pleasure every time I look at it.  I feel bad that I can’t remember the particular website where I got it because I would have liked to have credited the photographer, but to whomever you are, wonderful picture-taker, thank you especially for this one, picture #5, below.

As always, but especially for those of you who are new to the Forum out there, click on each of the pictures to get their full viewing value.

*** Thanks, John Donne.
“…No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece
of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by
the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's
death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and
therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for
thee….”

Church bells used to ring in the towns when someone died, so, quite humanly, apparently, when people heard the bells ringing they'd seek to know for whom the bells were tolling, whether it was someone they knew and cared about or not.  Think how many times we hear of some disaster or another and immediately rush to remember where our friends and family are, whether any of them, or even, kind of sadly, whether any of our countrypeople, might have been involved to determine how much or even whether this or that particular disaster really affects us all that much or not....

* p01_24496293-1.jpg (291.2 KB, 990x612 - viewed 92 times.)

* p40_24566717.jpg (254.23 KB, 990x636 - viewed 95 times.)

* p22_24540525-1.jpg (289.7 KB, 990x588 - viewed 115 times.)

* Haiti-Children_Collecting_Water.jpg (33.68 KB, 577x519 - viewed 89 times.)

* 144-990x462.jpg (69.44 KB, 990x462 - viewed 102 times.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:14:30 PM by Jill » Logged
Jill
« Reply To This #114 on: August 14, 2010, 08:16:35 PM »

The devastation, the suffering, and the inconceivable upheaval in Pakistan due to the torrential rains and flooding seem almost biblical.  Here are a few selections from the Boston Globe’s second Big Picture set of absolutely phenomenal photographs showing what it looks like on the ground (and from the sky), there.

I don’t know about you, but I can no more picture in my mind a number like the supposedly 20 million people being affected, the great majority of whom now are homeless, or the added infliction of the plague of cholera which apparently is now setting in than I can jump over the moon.  I’m actually grateful that I can’t.

For all the nonsense and media-blogger-and-politician-manufactured alienation created by that damnably tenacious fallacy of “us” versus “them,” if we Westerners won’t reach out for any reason other than one of self-interest, I hope we’ll remember what Three Cups of Tea Greg Mortenson has been trying to convey to us and our governments, and that we’ll reach out, at least, because of that.  

Any of you who have read Three Cups can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure he said that it’s when people are at their most desperate that they’re most susceptible to the influence of whomever is even appearing to offer them a way out of their misery.  So, even if we (we, ourselves, and we, our governments) aren’t motivated by humanitarian, them is us or at least them could be us reasons, figure that it’s going to be either us the Pakistani people will see as trying to help them,  or, if not us, it very likely will be Al-Qaeda or the Taliban, instead.

Click on each of the pics.  You may see them get really really big if you do, or you might even hear that bell tolling, and tolling for all of us.

Pic #1: A man marooned by flood waters, alongside his livestock, waves towards an Army helicopter for relief handouts in the Rajanpur district of Pakistan's Punjab province on August 9, 2010. (REUTERS/Stringer)

Pic #2: A man wades through flood waters towards a naval boat while evacuating his children in Sukkur, located in Pakistan's Sindh province August 8, 2010. (REUTERS/Akhtar Soomro)

Pic #3: Pakistani villagers raise hands to get food dropped from an army helicopter at a flood-hit area of Kot Addu, in central Pakistan on Saturday, Aug. 7, 2010. (AP Photo/Khalid Tanveer)

Pic # 4: Youths affected by floods walk outside the ruins of their home which was washed away by heavy floods in Charsadda, northwest Pakistan, Monday, Aug. 9, 2010. (AP Photo/B.K. Bangash)

Pic #5: An aerial view from a Pakistan army rescue helicopter shows personnel distributing water to flood-affected residents in Ghouspur, some 100 kilometers from Sukkur on on August 9, 2010. (ASIF HASSAN/AFP/Getty Images)

Pic #6
: A girl floats her brother across flood waters whilst salvaging valuables from their flood ravaged home on August 7, 2010 in the village of Bux Seelro near to Sukkur, Pakistan. (Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images)

* p01_24612445.jpg (228.09 KB, 990x636 - viewed 83 times.)

* p11_24597527.jpg (179.49 KB, 990x652 - viewed 106 times.)

* p09_24584629.jpg (215.36 KB, 990x639 - viewed 112 times.)

* p35_24606107-1.jpg (211.73 KB, 990x638 - viewed 85 times.)

* p17_24604051.jpg (140.55 KB, 990x680 - viewed 91 times.)

* p06_24588775.jpg (164.65 KB, 990x640 - viewed 92 times.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:36:46 PM by Jill » Logged
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #115 on: March 05, 2011, 11:38:40 AM »

Found that it was just too hard, actually, really pretty ridiculously kind of indescribably painful trying to be back here, whether posting or even lurking.  Felt that way most especially because I saw that so many “old dog” KFs  (KF Oli’s term) were still here, were still coming regularly but were very (it felt) pointedly choosing not to respond, not to acknowledge or support anything I posted.   It felt way too personal, whether, in fact it was or it wasn’t. 

Anyway, as truly stomach-punching hard as that ended up being on my sometimes way too fragile, much too sensitive spirit and on my probably way too childlike idealism, it didn’t take away either from what feels like the tremendously good fortune of my rather constantly coming across what feel to me like treasures or from my desire, actually, it feels like near compulsion to want to share some of those treasures with others

The absolutely magnificent photography of this guy, Steve McCurry, is one of those treasures. The two websites, below, to me are tremendous.  They depict the people, the life styles and the geography of many Kiva countries and of many others that are not yet Kiva countries.  I haven’t gone to anywhere near all the galleries, myself, by any means, but I did check out “families,” “work,” “schools”, “reading,” “music,” and “playing”, among others.  You might want to check out the category, “monsoons,” for instance, to get an idea of how really special some of these photos are.

I haven’t been able to find if captions are available for the pics at either of these two links, though I was able to find captions, or explanations for some of the photographs by locating them at other websites via putting McCurry’s name as a search term at “Google Images.”  But even without captions, the pictures, themselves, tell such stories, so that you probably will be able to fill in captions for some of them of your own. 

As I recently received a couple of his books (of his collections in books), I can tell you that the books put the representations on the Internet almost to shame.  They’re beyond beautiful, beyond amazing, and are real gifts for anyone who has had his or her mind opened up to the beauty of the world’s people and had their curiosity whetted and their desire to learn more much enhanced either by Kiva or by some other means.

http://www.stevemccurry.com/main.php
(Go to “Galleries.”  I think there are actually 58 different subject matter galleries to choose from if you use the little brown scroll-down bar on the right).
http://stevemccurry.wordpress.com/
(Check out, especially, “brothers and sisters,” and “a matter of faith”).

Pic #1: One of the Faces of Tibet
Pic #2: A Shoe Store in Afghanistan

And, since I don’t know when or if I’ll be back, even though unrelated to this thread where I’m putting it, I’d like also to make the recommendation to you that you check out some of the talks at
ted.com, http://www.ted.com/talks ,  if you haven’t already been there.

And though I’ve only, so far, read just smidgens, bits and pieces from each of the following, I’m thinking that some of you might also want to check out one or both of the following books:

I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey on the Road to Peace and Human Dignity
http://www.amazon.com/Shall-Not-Hate-Doctors-Journey/dp/0802779174/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299340635&sr=1-1

Letters from Palestine: Palestinians Speak Out about Their Lives, Their Country, and the Power of Nonviolence
http://www.amazon.com/Letters-Palestine-Palestinians-Country-Nonviolence/dp/1604944161/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299340701&sr=1-1

Peace and Hope and Fairness for All,
See you,
Jill

* steve-mc-curry-lhasa-tibet-2000.jpeg (50.53 KB, 328x491 - viewed 895 times.)

* mccurry-shoe_1543169i.jpeg (68.36 KB, 620x400 - viewed 134 times.)
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #116 on: April 05, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »

Just in case your decision about where to travel next may, at least in part, be influenced by the “stay-awake” quality of the inflight safety video you’re supposed to watch soon after you board an airplane, maybe you’d want to think about going to New Zealand….?

Coming across notquite priceless gems like this is but one of the many many many bennies you get from every once in awhile perusing the various news photo websites where the learning, the mind-expanding, the curiosity-arousing*, and the time-sucking are almost boundless.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos;_ylt=AsV_V3ICyrMqUrSzwLsCxgus0NUE

http://www.guardian.co.uk/inpictures
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/photography/
http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures
http://www.newsinpictures.com/
http://boston.com/bostonglobe/photos/
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/photo_in_the_news/

*For instance, where one of the slideshows, this one at Reuters, is entitled, “ ‘Slutwalk’ Against Violence,” how could you not want to click on it to see what kinds of pictures were included and what this was all about?

Unrelated: (A note to Paul, if you should happen to be reading this): This morning, I saw for the first time your February 21 post in the thread, The World’s Children, Our Children…, and I wanted to tell you I thought it was really interesting, for a whole lot of reasons.  I especially was engaged by your revelation of your parents’ experiment in “voluntary poverty,” and just wanted to say thank you.  I thought it was a great post.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:48:13 AM by Jill » Logged
Amy-in-PHX
Kiva Supporter
Phoenix, AZ

View Profile
« Reply To This #117 on: April 05, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »

*For instance, where one of the slideshows, this one at Reuters, is entitled, “ ‘Slutwalk’ Against Violence,” how could you not want to click on it to see what kinds of pictures were included and what this was all about?

Kiva lender and Education Generation Team captain, Carolyn, attended the Slutwalk in Toronto and posted about it on facebook at the end of last week.  Thanks for showing where I could view the slideshow.  I especially liked the sign that said "Don't tell us how to dress; Tell men not to rape."
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:56:02 PM by Amy-in-PHX » Logged

We can do no great things - only small things with great love.     (Mother Teresa)
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #118 on: December 15, 2011, 06:49:16 AM »

Saw a headline the other day about a woman being beheaded.  She was executed for witchcraft in Saudi Arabia.  This morning, I came across this disquieting, if also pretty powerful news photo collection of pictures of homelessness from around the world. 
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/12/homelessness_around_the_world.html

How could I, or, for that matter, any of us, not want to pause and take a moment out of our busy lives to feel gratefulness for having been born not only where we were born but into the lives we so fortuitously were given? 

And, if we’re lucky and if we’re made that way, how could we not feel our desire, and hopefully, our commitment renewed for trying to do whatever our little parts might be to make things even just a little bit better for someone/s who, through absolutely no fault of their own, might not have it as good as we?

The first of the three pics, below, comes from here.  The second one, from here.  And the third, from the boston.com/bigpicture link I gave you, above.

Since I'd come across those pics and was on the theme, anyway, I found myself thinking about some of the poignant photos I’d used to try to give a human face to some of the poems I’d posted here, quite awhile ago.  So, I thought I’d try to find them.  And I want to tell you, leafing through the Poetry thread when I, just now, was on that search for those pics, I was reminded, as I’d like you all to be reminded, that there are some true gems, some real life enrichers in that thread, just waiting to be re-discovered.   In this forum, especially but definitely not only in some of the old old posts, we have a real treasure trove here.  There’s all kinds of fun and fascinating and uplifting stuff.
http://www.kivafriends.org/index.php/topic,1186.msg24065.html#msg24065
http://www.kivafriends.org/index.php/topic,1186.msg23873.html#msg23873

* homeless.bmp (344.58 KB, 392x300 - viewed 43 times.)

* SeoulHomeless4.jpg (83.9 KB, 700x466 - viewed 59 times.)

* bp29.jpg (471.52 KB, 990x632 - viewed 44 times.)
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #119 on: February 27, 2014, 11:08:11 AM »

Came across, a little while ago, some exquisite photographs of a fascinating ancient cultural art, that of honey hunting in Nepal, that's still being practiced but that threatens to be relegated to books, films and website posts such as this one as progress and globalization relentlessly drag us forward (or, as some might regard, backwards).  Made me think of the wonderful “Jeju Grannies of the Sea,” mentioned here a couple of months ago, and how, sadly, they, too, are looking at a similar fate.  
(Walmart and Justin Bieber, here, we all of us in the world, seem to be coming.  Rue, rue).

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/gallery/2014/feb/27/honey-hunters-nepal-in-pictures#/?picture=430791100&index=0
http://koikoikoi.com/2012/05/honey-hunters-of-nepal/

The third picture, below, turns out, is not a pic of one of the honey hunters but is simply a picture, and actually, what I thought to be a very neat picture, of an elderly Nepalese woman that I happened upon when I was looking for more on the honey hunters.  Seeing her immediately made me think of a very special book I read years and years ago that some of you might enjoy, Nepali Aama: Life Lessons of a Himalayan Woman.  And, as long as you’re trekking to Nepal this morning, check these out, too.
For sure, click on the pics to enlarge them.

So much to learn about.  So much to savor.

EDIT: Totally unrelated, except for the learning and savoring part...
A few minutes ago, when taking a bit of a break from my totally destroying what had been an absolutely lovely piece, Shenandoah, absolutely lovely, that is, before I got a hold of it, my piano teacher and I took a bit of a sidetrack and started talking about humpback whales.  I came back here to snag the link to one of the most wondrous nature videos I have ever seen so that I could send it to him.  If you somehow missed it, or even if you didn’t, you might want to take two minutes and ten seconds out of your lives to catch a glimpse of what I can't imagine anybody not regarding as sheer magnificence.  For me, the video here presents an object lesson in the meaning of the word, ineffable.

* Honey-hunter-collecting-f-008.jpg (147.68 KB, 720x480 - viewed 21 times.)

* 29_evhon-10-630x423.jpg (88.49 KB, 630x423 - viewed 14 times.)

* 446px-Old_lady_from_Darap(Sikkim).jpg (84.33 KB, 446x599 - viewed 13 times.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:57:41 PM by Jill » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: