Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

August 27, 2014, 10:04:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!
Home Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31   Go Down
Bookmark This †|† E-Mail This †|† Print It
Author Topic: We Loves Us Our Animals, We Do, We Do!  (Read 56785 times)
0 Members and 2 Guests were last seen viewing this topic.
Jill
« Reply To This #240 on: August 17, 2010, 09:07:38 AM »

Was watching the news, stumbling around at stumbleupon.com which sometimes gives me a lot of pleasure, trying to decide whether I should give it up and finally get up and go check out the day or try to catch up a little on lost sleep, when I happened upon this video of a Porcupine Who Thinks He Is A Puppy.

I had no idea that porcupines were like this.  
Am attaching a pic of three little bitty ones.  Pretty cute.

EDIT: Well, as long as I'm here, anyway, I decided to post a couple more pics.  The first, from an article at another website I "stumbled upon" entitled Nothing Like Mom's Lap and the other from this morning's Zooborns which I just thought was pretty neat.

EDIT #2: Okay, Iím out of here, but before I go, I thought Iíd leave you with a couple of pics that I just stumbled upon that brought to mind one of my favorite all-time real-life characters, Koko the Gorilla and her much loved adopted kitten, All Ball.  Check out the less-than-two-minute-long video of Koko and All Ball, here, if that kind of thing appeals to you.

* baby_porcupines.jpg (35.93 KB, 450x337 - viewed 96 times.)

* horse2.jpg (73.12 KB, 640x480 - viewed 98 times.)

* 6a010535647bf3970b0134863dd969970c-pi.jpg (127.5 KB, 470x636 - viewed 102 times.)

* 1313.jpg (44.78 KB, 500x562 - viewed 98 times.)

* 22.jpg (43.18 KB, 650x417 - viewed 93 times.)

* 0NPOLcAdvj_phNT298OPXv3GPTtEtcZ3.jpg (37.62 KB, 380x380 - viewed 105 times.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:27:30 AM by Jill » Logged
Alaska Pack
Kiva Supporter
Alaska

View Profile
« Reply To This #241 on: September 19, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »

Here in Alaska, the southern migration has been going on for weeks.  Just thought I'd share an article from today's local paper of the ultra marathoner of the bird world.  In my books, they surpass the Arctic tern not in distance but in stamina.

Bar Tailed Godwits

http://www.adn.com/2010/09/18/1461190/godwits-bulk-up-for-7000-miles.html

Another interesting article is the following:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF18/1876.html

And from NPR for those of you who enjoy audio:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95997182

I spoke to the gentleman who is considered the authority on these birds.  There survival will depend on habitat protection, particularly in China and Korea where crucial shore habitat is being drained.  He felt writing letters to the head of the Department of the Interior could certainly help their cause and I speculate that any country wildlife department head as well.

Bernice
Alaska Pack
Kiva Supporter
Alaska

View Profile
« Reply To This #242 on: October 09, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »

Just posting a video that was forwarded to me from a friend, a great video minus the advertising at the end.

Bernice  Smiley
Alaska Pack
Kiva Supporter
Alaska

View Profile
« Reply To This #243 on: October 31, 2010, 11:59:33 AM »

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Yes another bird posting since it is Halloween and we just went to the OWL-o-ween yesterday.

The girls and I appear briefly on the video and even though it is on the site, I am adding a link in case they change the home page

We help with the orphaned baby birds each spring.  We would love to help feed the birds but children have to be 16 years old due to the potential for injury.  
When both girls are in school next year, I will go on my own to start the process.

http://www.birdtlc.net/

Bernice
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:03:23 PM by Alaska Pack » Logged
Kay
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #244 on: November 01, 2010, 02:06:23 AM »

That's wonderful, Bernice!  Thumbs Up
Alaska Pack
Kiva Supporter
Alaska

View Profile
« Reply To This #245 on: November 05, 2010, 10:13:09 AM »

Shocked Shocked ShockedPOISONS Shocked Shocked Shocked

"Poisoning is a horrific way to die. The last moments of life are cursed with dizziness, convulsions or excruciating pain. For the lucky few, death comes within minutes -- but far too often, it's a slow and agonizing spiral that can take hours.

Each year, the Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services kills more than 10,000 wild animals with highly toxic sodium cyanide and sodium monofluoroacetate (known as Compound 1080). Often these poisons are deployed on federal lands -- land owned by you and me.

You can help stop the use of these toxic chemicals on our wildlife. Act now to urge the Environmental Protection Agency to ban these deadly poisons.

Sodium cyanide and Compound 1080 are some of the most lethal toxins known to humankind. But for decades, Wildlife Services has used these dangerous poisons to kill coyotes and other native carnivores.

These deadly chemicals donít always reach their intended victims. Endangered wolves, rare swift foxes and even hundreds of pet dogs have been killed by baited traps that are left unattended.

Take action now. Urge EPA officials to end the use of these deadly poisons on our wildlife and help us reach our goal of sending 50,000 messages.

EPA is currently reviewing the use of sodium cyanide and Compound 1080 to kill coyotes and other wildlife. Your voice is needed during this important public comment period to ensure the use of these deadly poisons is stopped.

Wildlife Services continues to rely heavily on sodium cyanide and Compound 1080 to purportedly address wildlife predation on livestock -- despite the fact that only a small percentage of sheep and cattle are killed by predators each year."

http://www.defenders.org/

Isn't it ironic that EPA stands for Environmental Protection Agency?    Thinking
I've sent my letter.  For those of you whose countries that do not use these forms of predator control  Thumbs Up.

Bernice
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:15:01 AM by Alaska Pack » Logged
Alaska Pack
Kiva Supporter
Alaska

View Profile
« Reply To This #246 on: November 16, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »

Cry Cry   SAD NEWS     Cry Cry

Target, the dog who survived Afghan war and melted hearts on Oprah, mistakenly put down at Arizona animal shelter

Target the dog lived through explosions in war-torn Afghanistan, saved the lives of U.S. soldiers and was featured on Oprah - but she couldn't survive a brief stay at an Arizona animal shelter.

An employee at the Pinal County facility was today on administrative leave after euthanizing the shepherd mix by mistake.

Here is the one video link I could find.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40214260/ns/health-pet_health/

Bernice Sad

Kay
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #247 on: November 16, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »

What a tragedy.  Cry
CelticHarpist
Kiva Supporter

Active:Smiletrain,WaggyTails teams

View Profile
« Reply To This #248 on: December 01, 2010, 05:56:17 PM »

My pup is 8 years now, and he helps by engaging folks in assisted living to brighten their day.
Kids call him Lady but he doesn't mind. His long eyelashes are his claim to fame.

* willieeyelashes.jpg (2.25 KB, 118x78 - viewed 180 times.)

* williepresent.jpg (2.5 KB, 118x84 - viewed 179 times.)
Alaska Pack
Kiva Supporter
Alaska

View Profile
« Reply To This #249 on: December 29, 2010, 11:32:04 AM »

Since things are moving slow on Kiva, I am posting a link to an article on how the animals up here survive under extremely cold temperatures and lack of day light.
Here in Anchorage for Dec 29, 2010 sunrises at 10:15 AM and sets at 3:48 PM for a total of 5h 33m 24s woo hoo that means a   + 1m 30s of day light over yesterday!
Which is nothing compared to Barrow Alaska where the sun set on Nov. 19th and is not expected to rise again until Jan. 24th 2011. On that day, the sunrise will be at 1:05pm and the
sunset at 2:13pm. 

http://www.adn.com/2010/12/27/1621815/alaska-animals-survive-winter.html

Bernice  Smiley
Charmaine can surely empathize with me.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31   Go Up
Bookmark This †|† E-Mail This †|† Print It
Jump to: