Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

August 20, 2014, 05:23:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: We Loves Us Our Animals, We Do, We Do!  (Read 56434 times)
0 Members and 6 Guests were last seen viewing this topic.
Amy-in-PHX
Kiva Supporter
Phoenix, AZ

View Profile
« Reply To This #270 on: May 19, 2011, 12:54:56 PM »

Pretty good video of a conversation with a dog who obviously understands English.

We can do no great things - only small things with great love.     (Mother Teresa)
CelticHarpist
Kiva Supporter

Active:Smiletrain,WaggyTails teams

View Profile
« Reply To This #271 on: May 19, 2011, 04:49:35 PM »

Just a fun post:

http://getcrackin.com/?vidid=1529#sidebar_video_thumb_1529
CelticHarpist
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #272 on: June 14, 2011, 02:16:13 PM »

Another fun post if you like basset hounds!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/basset-hounds-running
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #273 on: August 26, 2011, 08:39:15 AM »

There being a day for nearly everything anymore, I just came across an alert that today is “National Dog Day.” Dogs can be incredibly dear and important friends—just like cats and a near entire spectrum of other animals can be, as well.  This post is dedicated to Fella and Jack and Trubby and Duck and Brendan and Laddie and Minnie and Frosty and all the other dogs who have added such joy and comfort to my life.

If You’ve Any Feeling For Dogs At All, The Video Here Is For You & Your Great Pleasure

Portraits of Dogs As They Shake Off Water
 (Superlative Photography- 19 pics, 1 Below)

Bau House Dog Cafe in Seoul

How Humans Amuse Themselves & Little Beagle Puppies Indulge Them

Surfin´ Bulldog (Tillman’s Skateboarding Skills Shown Here Are Especially Exquisite)

And years and years and years ago, I came across this lawyer’s masterpiece of a closing argument that since has been characterized as “a eulogy to a dog”.  Both as a lawyer-one-day-to-be and a lifetime dog and animal lover, I thought it was, well, just pretty perfect.  Here’s the setting for it:

"In 1869, Senator George Vest of Missouri represented in a lawsuit, a plaintiff whose dog “Old Drum” had been wilfully and wantonly shot by a neighbour. The defendant virtually admitted the shooting, but questioned to the jury the $150 value plaintiff attributed to this mere animal.”

NOT EXACTLY ABOUT DOGS, BUT.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1220161/Ready-close-Wild-animals-captured-stunning-studio-photographs.html (from terrific “Life On White” project)

Following are 2 really wonderful books where animals, by their example, teach us a thing or two about friendship, acceptance and peace.  Fella was adamant that our little friend, Tia, absolutely needed to have these for her birthday (well, for a belated birthday), so, thanks to amazon.co.uk, in a week or two, she will.

Unlikely Friendships: 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom

Friends: True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships

* Ilovethispuppy-Fella@10Wks.jpg (117.96 KB, 225x320 - viewed 193 times.)

* dog4.jpg (42.11 KB, 550x422 - viewed 84 times.)

* 5686.jpg (67.19 KB, 375x150 - viewed 83 times.)

* Unlikely-Friendships.jpg (34.76 KB, 425x486 - viewed 84 times.)

* url.jpg (71.74 KB, 500x500 - viewed 89 times.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:06:06 AM by Jill » Logged
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #274 on: August 26, 2011, 09:28:16 AM »

Lest any of you who might have read the lawyer’s closing argument, cited just above, may have concluded he was indulging, particularly at the end, in hyperbole for effect, there was a story highlighted, yesterday, at Yahoo, Huffington Post, Youtube and elsewhere about the faithful dog who wouldn’t leave a fallen navy seal’s side, even after his master had been killed.  Since the little blurb I read about it spoke of the “heartbreaking” video that was accompanying the story and the photo (see, below), I, personally, declined the opportunity of intentionally setting myself up for the sadness I knew I would feel if I watched it and so, I just didn’t.  Still, anyone with any empathy or imagination can look at even just the photo and feel more than you might wish you would feel, just thinking about how you, yourself, have felt when you’ve lost someone you’ve loved.

* hawkeye.jpg (68.99 KB, 379x463 - viewed 86 times.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:30:17 AM by Jill » Logged
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #275 on: September 17, 2011, 08:39:38 AM »

ATTENTION: Turtles Of The World:
While it may be true that we humans haven’t as yet discovered a way to microchip you* so you can find your way home after perhaps straying a bit while out galavanting and exploring this fascinating world we live in, never despair.  We really do still love you. See, below.

Bionic Animals
*Willow the Cat Makes Strong Case for Microchipping

The website, Pixdaus, is wonderful for animal and other kinds of pictures.  You don’t have to be a turtle aficionado to recognize the “exquisiteness” of some of the pictures at the three pages there.
http://pixdaus.com/?sort=tag&tag=turtles

Also, for your information, if you’d like to check out something other than turtles while you’re at this pretty fun website, all you need to do is substitute the name of the animal (or, in many cases, something else) for the last word (“turtles”).  (I tried “flower”** and “children”*** and “nudibranch”) in the URLs given below. Then click enter or return for the pleasure of the exploration.

Anyone who has spent any time in the Art thread may know I have a thing for “nudibranchs” (among many many other things that I have a thing for, as you maybe have figured out by now).  Because I was unsure of the spelling of the word, I googled it, and just happened to come across this pretty fantastic collection of these ocean works of art.  Even if you don’t want to go any further, click on this link and at least check out the very first image, just to spice up your morning (or afternoon or evening).

**I especially liked pics# 5 & 6 at the first of apparently 200 pages of flower pictures, here:    
http://pixdaus.com/?sort=tag&tag=flower
and there are some really precious ones when you use “children”*** as your search term:
http://pixdaus.com/?sort=tag&tag=children

And, for an additional 59 second reminder of the utter magnificence of nature, check out the video, here.
(Thanks, Partner, for sharing it with me).

EDIT:  I’m much more a dog than cat person (though I very much love tigers and lions and have made friends with individual kittens and cats when I’ve gotten to know them).  But dog person or not, I came across this species, that of the “pallas cat,” awhile ago and thought it was very very neat.  
http://www.factzoo.com/mammals/pallas-cat-manul-thickest-fur-wild-mountain.html
http://www.skatetrix.ch/skatetrix_photo/new-wildlife/pallas_s_cat_564.jpg.php

Along with this edit I bring you a test question, your mastery in the answering of which will largely demonstrate the extent of your relative intelligence.  Please give it a moment or two of reflection before you answer, just to enhance the chances of your getting it right. Here it comes. Are you ready?

Is nature just absolutely amazing, or
Is nature just absolutely amazing?

* ph9Tzvika-1.jpg (26.36 KB, 615x410 - viewed 85 times.)

* ph12arava.jpg (52.78 KB, 615x461 - viewed 79 times.)

* pallaskittens.png (281.39 KB, 500x270 - viewed 114 times.)

* url.jpg (188.57 KB, 375x500 - viewed 94 times.)

* Pallas%27s+Cat+3.jpg (37.58 KB, 293x320 - viewed 178 times.)

* tumblr_l9dws6TKAP1qzs4d0o1_500.jpg (191.1 KB, 465x700 - viewed 86 times.)

* pallas-cat.jpg (121.35 KB, 500x428 - viewed 83 times.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:05:04 PM by Jill » Logged
CelticHarpist
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #276 on: September 18, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »

Nice story about a dog mothering other animals in need:
http://www.rogerknapp.com/inspire/MotherDog.htm

* Doing what she does best.doc (65.5 KB - downloaded 51 times.)
FoxyOxy
« Reply To This #277 on: October 18, 2011, 07:39:11 AM »

I defy anybody to look at this story about Shamavu, a baby gorilla who was rescued from poachers, in today's Guardian and not go "awwwwwwwwww!"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/gallery/2011/oct/18/meet-shamavu-baby-gorilla-rescued#/?picture=380563545&index=0

I might actually be able to stop going "awwwwwwwwwww!" at some point later today!  "Awwwwwwwwww!"
Jill
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #278 on: November 22, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »

Temporarily eluded my keeper…..

Stumbled upon the youtube video at this link this morning and was filled with what felt like reverence and exaltation.  And actually, something that felt like gratitude, too.
http://twistedsifter.com/2009/06/how-do-humpback-whales-hunt/

When you’re at the video, click on the 4-arrowed-full-frame-enlarger-thing at the bottom right hand corner of the video, so it’ll fill up your monitor’s screen and you can get the full majesty of it.

Both stumbleupon.com that led me to it and twistedsifter.com where I watched it have all kinds of treasures just waiting to be discovered.
Natasha
Kiva Supporter
Australia

View Profile
« Reply To This #279 on: November 30, 2011, 04:37:05 AM »

For those who have dogs, this loan is for you! Thumbs Up
http://www.kiva.org/lend/365399

Martha is 49 years old. She lives in a neighborhood in the south of the city with her son who is 22 years old and she dreams that she will see him become a professional success and this is the driving force of her life. She works as a veterinarian technical assistant and sells products along the same line and she also offers the service of dog grooming.

Her love of animals led her to learn from them, and at first she worked with a veterinarian from whom she got most of her experience, and at the same time she studied, in order to later launch her own business in a shop. She changed the plan to a home based business which came together perfectly and she has taken advantage of it.

Currently her dream is of growing, she says, expanding her business, but her working capital is not sufficient to meet the potential and growing demand. This is the reason that she is asking for a loan, her first loan through Fundación Mario Santo Domingo, with which she will buy veterinary products and repair the tool that she uses to groom and cut the dogs hair. She anticipates her business increasing in the well-attended shop, making the premises suitable in the best way for her clients to feel comfortable and in order that especially the dogs are surrounded by a lot of love.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:40:52 AM by Natasha » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: