Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

July 26, 2014, 04:17:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: Ya Gotta Have Heart! Individuals and Organizations Who Make a Difference.  (Read 27742 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest were last seen viewing this topic.
Jill
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:28:10 PM »

Every once in awhile, each of us runs across one of those thoroughly enriching, inspiring human interest stories in which seemingly ordinary mortals  end up doing amazing things,  sometimes having a profound and beneficial impact on the lives of hundreds, maybe even on thousands or millions of others.   I’m offering this thread as a place where the Forum might celebrate some of their achievements of deep caring and unflagging perseverance and also provide pointers, for others, to some really incredible role models and organizations.

After finishing Mukhtar Mai’s book the other day, In the Name of Honor, I found myself wanting to learn more.   As it happened, when I came upon the latest of the wonderful N.Y. Times columnist, Nicholas Kristof’s,  columns about her, it turned out that on the same Internet page with his column, there was a video of an absolutely unrelated story, unrelated except for Kristof’s compassionate enthusiasm for it.

This particular video snagged my attention because it was about a country, a people a lot of us here care about.   For that reason, and just because I thought it was really fascinating, I thought I’d share it.

American Ingenuity in Haiti, Turning Waste into Fertilizer
You should be able to view it either at:
http://video.nytimes.com/      or  at http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/mukhtar-mais-case-in-pakistan/   

Jill
« Reply To This #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:34:15 AM »

What's In The Cup?
My students need 3
urinalysis kits……

I just wanted to get your attention.  Did it work?  It did with me.  The preceding turned out to be some Biology teacher’s creative, if eyebrow-elevating, idea for engaging her students that I happened to see, just now, when I was looking for something else at the Donors Choose website.

Actually, this post is intended to be about an entirely different proposal, in fact, about a proposal that (virtually) introduced me to what sounds like a really amazing teacher in a more amazing school, that I also discovered through Donors Choose and then researched out of curiosity.  Since both of the two funding requests that I knew about have already been fulfilled, (out of nine from this teacher, so far, evidently)  this post ought not be regarded as any kind of solicitation (Not unless you want us to get involved in raising $70,000 for a couple of robots or more laptops for them, that is).

I’m quickly realizing, with the enthusiasm and excitement I’m feeling about all this, that this could end up being even more ridiculously long than some of my already Guinness World Record-Breaking ridiculously long posts.  So, to have mercy on you, I’ll just give you an excerpt from one of Mr. D’s earlier DonorsChoose Funding Requests and then will tag on a couple of links I’d urge you to explore, they’re so interesting.

Laptops for the Critically Ill

"I am the technology director in this unique school in a hospital setting. My students suffer from a variety of life threatening diseases such as cancer, heart disease, traumatic brain injury, muscular dystrophy, etc…. These students and their families have gone through tremendous pain and trauma throughout their lives. Many come from very poor neighborhoods from the inner city.

Currently my district is under severe financial constraints. At the present time I have no budget since there is no money. I continue to beg for used and often broken down equipment, but even this strategy has not been successful. These kids need this equipment more than any other child. They would love to do their homework maybe even keep in contact with their friends if possible, or learn more about the diseases that they have.

I am asking for three simple laptops that will have to be shared by many. With these laptops these critically ill students will be able to complete their daily school work, when they are in not to much pain or in therapy. In this manner when and if these students return to their regular school they will not be far behind their peers.

With your help these students who are K-12 will be able to have some joy within their lives. With the use of these laptops school will not be as hard. When a child is engaged often some of the daily pain that they experience, will be lessened . Please help these kids, they never ask for a lot just an education…."

Another Request for More Laptops

Note: The links that will take you to the Robot stories , also about this teacher, also about this school, are particularly fascinating and wonderful and ought be of interest to any teacher, parent, or anyone else who wants little (and big) kids to have a chance in life.
Mechanical helper brings classroom to bed-bound students
Robots Help Hospitalized Students Keep Up
Blythedale Children’s Hospital—Mt. Pleasant/Blythedale School

* school.jpg (29.69 KB, 325x270 - viewed 565 times.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:42:51 AM by Jill » Logged
Mona
Kiva Supporter
Berlin

Dawn at 3.069 m on La Reunion's Piton de Neige

View Profile
« Reply To This #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:16:03 AM »

Thanks, Jill!  Thumbs Up

It happend by coincidence that I became a donor to the as you have called it "another request for more laptops". One of the books fundraisers I had donated to stopped its request in the middle of the fundraising and so I got my money back and needed to find another worthy project. I scrolled a bit around the projects and saw that our friend Charmaine had made a donation recently. And so I followed the link and got immediately hooked by this story (btw, thanks, Charmaine, for the breadcrumbs  Smiley).

I also think that it is a really great project, so thanks a lot for providing us with all those additional background information!
cjp1973
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:20:24 AM »

Thanks, Jill!  Thumbs Up

It happend by coincidence that I became a donor to the as you have called it "another request for more laptops". One of the books fundraisers I had donated to stopped its request in the middle of the fundraising and so I got my money back and needed to find another worthy project. I scrolled a bit around the projects and saw that our friend Charmaine had made a donation recently. And so I followed the link and got immediately hooked by this story (btw, thanks, Charmaine, for the breadcrumbs  Smiley).

I also think that it is a really great project, so thanks a lot for providing us with all those additional background information!

Mona--That is quite funny.  The previous project Mr. D had for laptops I found because of Jill, from a message that came up on the home page, and have been looking for these students again.  I think this story and school/hospital is amazing.  Jill-thanks for posting the links.  I had only found one of these.  The thank yous from Mr. Desimore are so heartfelt.  What a rewarding, and at the same time, painful, job he must have.

charmaine
Jill
« Reply To This #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »

Mona and Charmaine…
Ripples.  How I love how we ripple and riff off one another to try to add to the kindness and hope in the world.

Maybe one of these days I’ll learn how to use the scanner component of my printer combination-thingy (spoken like a true techie, right?).  In the meantime, I’ll get some extra typing practice copying off some excerpts for you from some of the thank you letters I received from Mr. D’s kids for having been a donor on one of his projects.

They make me think of libee migbar, Of Beetles and Angels’ fame, or, developing a heart….

“Dear Donor,
Thank you for the pretty laptops.  They are very cute.  It will make going to schools not so boring….  Love Joy”

“Dear Donor;
Thank you for these laptops.  They are the coolest.  They make going to schools a lot more fun.  Now I can go on the internet and not have to go to the library  This is really hard when I have to stay in a bed for part of the day…. Thank you again … Tim”

“Dear Donor;
When I got sick my life was really stinky.  I couldn’t walk and was in bed.  Now I can sort of walk.  The laptop that my teacher let me use is really awesome….. One day I hope to get my own like this one.  Though my Mom says we don’t have a lot of money because my Dad lost his job.  Thank you again…. Joe”

“Dear Donor;
My name is Ganeshi and I would like to thank you….. Right now I can not walk so well but I can sure type fast.  Thank you again…. Love Ganeshi

“Dear Donor;
My name is Mark , and I would like to thank you for everything.  I have change the computer screen to Yankee Stadium.  It really looks cool now.  My school is kind of poor so we don’t really have A LOT.  This computer is so small I can even work on it in my bed.  After my stroke my life has changed but now I can do some things for myself.  Thank you again!  Sincerely yours, Mark

“Dear Donor;
….This is a very poor school district and the students can really use it.  Hopefully the teachers will let us go on the internet if our work is done.., Love Takia

“Dear Donor;
My name is Lady…. I love the new computers, they are so small and it’s so cool, comfortable and easy for us.  Without you we could never have these in our school…
Sincerely yours, Lady”
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:02:09 AM by Jill » Logged
wind5001
Kiva Supporter
Ann Arbor, MI

I'm a Kiva customer tho Kiva thinks I'm a donor.

View Profile
« Reply To This #5 on: April 16, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »

Thanks Jill, for sharing. Got me teared up.

Continue Mark Agwonah's legacy, join the Mark Agwonah Fund at http://www.kivafriends.org/index.php/topic,682.0.html !
Jill
« Reply To This #6 on: April 18, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »

I just posted this link over at DonorsChoose, where, for some reason, I just happened to be this morning.  For those of you who might not see it  there, think about checking out the My Hero website @ http://www.myhero.com/myhero/home.asp  It's a really special and easy way of introducing kids --  and ourselves, for that matter -- to all kinds of inspiring, striving, amazing people who, easily, can serve as role models for all of us.  Click, especially, on "Heroes" in the left hand column when you go there.

EDIT: I just returned to that website and came across this, an almost guaranteed smile:
http://www.myhero.com/globalexchange/gx2/gx_home.asp
And, if you go to this link, whether or whether not you view the featured, First Prize-winning clip at the top, scroll down the page and see what other shorties they have to offer.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:17:15 AM by Jill » Logged
cjp1973
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #7 on: April 22, 2009, 04:19:40 AM »

This message was posted to Team Obama today but wanted to pass it on here.  If nothing else, the pictures are worth the look.

Hi all,
One never knows when the right time to say something like this is, but another way I try to help folks is I'm the President of an organization called Heart2Heart www.heart2heartusa.info We're an all volunteer organization that supports and orpanage for kids who have been orphaned by HIV/AIDS. The orphanage is near Lake Victoria in Kenya. Primarily, we as people to sponsor a particular child's education. We also send aid for food, medicine, and had an 80 meter well dug.
Check it out. Ann
Jill
« Reply To This #8 on: April 23, 2009, 08:36:51 AM »

I was inexpressibly pleased both to see Mr. D's new project and that Charmaine and Ramona had beat me to the click, there, this morning.
http://www.donorschoose.org/donors/proposal.html?id=270277&zone=0

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:43:19 AM by Jill » Logged
Mona
Kiva Supporter
Berlin

Dawn at 3.069 m on La Reunion's Piton de Neige

View Profile
« Reply To This #9 on: April 23, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »

Here is another DonorsChoose project I could not miss out. What an inspiring kid!  Thumbs Up

Barbell For Down Syndrome Champion

"I teach adolescent students with severe disabilities in a high school serving a disproportionately economically disadvantaged population. Since the high school in which I teach does not have a gymnasium, my students perform physical activities along with the rest of student population in a single weight room. They have to work with bent barbells and barbells with loose ends. A new barbell will allow all the students to work safely in our weight room. Too many times I have seen a weight falling from one end because of the loose end or uneven barbell.

One of my students is a superstar with Down Syndrome who holds the California State record among people with disabilities in age and weight class. In March 2009 two articles were written about him in our local newspaper. The goal of this student is to break the world record before he turns 16."

---------
$579 left to fund
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 05:42:04 PM by Mona » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: