Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

April 18, 2014, 05:34:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: Is it possible to go to help directly a Kiva partner association in its country?  (Read 16836 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest were last seen viewing this topic.
menicolas
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2009, 05:41:12 AM »

Hi all kiva friends,

My questions is simple: Is it possible to go to help directly a Kiva partner association in its country? (instead of helping Kiva in America by volontering or translation)

After reading a lot about microfinancing, I think I might be able to help directly association(s) where it is based (help maybe in running the association, help teaching entrepreneur how to save, help making things more transparent maybe... I don't know... so many things could be possible...)

Basically, I would be no cost at all for Kiva or the association anyone since I want to give some time for a good cause, I have the funds to pay the travelling to go there, and the staying and living cost...

Is it a good idea? and if not why?
is it one thing which is already being done? and if not why?

NB: I am thinking about Togo, but it does not really matter where it is I guess

Thanks for your advice,

If some of you think it is a good idea, then I will develop more my ideas here.

Menicolas.
wthepoo
Kiva Supporter
Berlin

View Profile
« Reply To This #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:05:37 AM »

Hi Menicolas,

and welcome to KivaFriends! What a great first post...

IMHO it's a great and very generous idea and you should definitely follow through with it. My suggestion would be to contact the Kiva partners directly and ask if they have any use for qualified volunteers. In many cases you will find email-addresses or links to websites on the partner profile page of the MFIs.

For Togo:
WAGES http://www.kiva.org/about/aboutPartner?id=111 => email: wages@cafe.tg
Microfund Togo http://www.kiva.org/about/aboutPartner?id=22 => email: microfund99@hotmail.com / microfund33@yahoo.fr
FECECAV http://www.kiva.org/about/aboutPartner?id=99 => email: fcecav@yahoo.fr
HELP Africa http://www.kiva.org/about/aboutPartner?id=45 => email: helpafrica@yahoo.com

HELP Africa in particular seems to need any help they can get...

Another MFI/country you might consider is GHAPE in Cameroon:
GHAPE http://www.kiva.org/about/aboutPartner?id=40 => website: http://www.ghape.org/index.htm

Best wishes and good luck with your endeavour,
Wolfgang.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 06:48:18 AM by wthepoo » Logged
menicolas
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:08:20 AM »

Hi Wolfgang,

I had already listed these 4 associations, and I was thinking about writing them. (thanks for relisting them. You are exceptional)

But I wanted to make sure that it's something do-able before I write them.

For HELP Africa, I was also thinking about it, since they are a bit in trouble, but then I thought that I am not superman... I am willing to help, but I might not be good enough to really save them. I think (I might be wrong) that sometimes it's good to let the black sheep go down... to let room for new better ones.

I guess I might be of better help to work with one of the other 3 and help them not to follow the path of HELP Africa. Maybe less challenging, but more manageable (especially if I am limited in time)

Thanks also for the welcome!

Menicolas.
waywardcats
Kiva Supporter
SF Bay Area

Xania, Crete

View Profile
« Reply To This #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:20:18 AM »

Hi all kiva friends,

My questions is simple: Is it possible to go to help directly a Kiva partner association in its country? (instead of helping Kiva in America by volontering or translation)

After reading a lot about microfinancing, I think I might be able to help directly association(s) where it is based (help maybe in running the association, help teaching entrepreneur how to save, help making things more transparent maybe... I don't know... so many things could be possible...)

Basically, I would be no cost at all for Kiva or the association anyone since I want to give some time for a good cause, I have the funds to pay the travelling to go there, and the staying and living cost...

Thanks for your advice,

Menicolas.

Hi Menicolas and  Welcome to kiva Friends!

I am curious if you have looked into applying for the Kiva Fellows program?  What you describe here is pretty much what the Fellows do after some training with Kiva.  Although this is focused on their relationship with Kiva, and perhaps you are more interested in helping the organizations directly?

I agree with Woflgang, your idea is certainly worth pursuing, I am looking forward to hearing more about your plans!

-Kerry-

"Our daughters can contribute just as much to society as our sons, and our common prosperity will be advanced by allowing all humanity - men and women - to reach their full potential. I do not believe that women must make the same choices as men in order to be equal, and I respect those women who choose to live their lives in traditional roles. But it should be their choice. That is why the United States will partner with any Muslim-majority country to support expanded literacy for girls, and to help young women pursue employment through micro-financing that helps people live their dreams." - President Barack Obama, June 4, 2009
menicolas
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #4 on: May 07, 2009, 02:30:15 AM »

Thanks Kerry,

That Fellow program gives me even more ideas. I am living in Europe, so I won't be able to attend a training in America. But it gives me some ideas of things I can bring to the Kiva partner association. I might even contact the fellow program asking them for more tips before I set off (planned end of this month or beginning of next)

Your are being a great help on this forum. Thanks again!

Menicolas.
kent513
Kiva Supporter
Uganda

View Profile
« Reply To This #5 on: May 18, 2012, 01:10:29 PM »

Hullo Menicolas,

Am really writing about a past important topic. In many parts of Africa, there are different levels of microfinance developments -in Uganda the most current ones are called "Saving and Credit Coorperatives' SACCO) They are found on the very bottom of development. Most are not partners of Kiva neither do they  know a thing about Kiva lending. They stand on membership shares and savings, so they would best use such intellectual financial skills. Most Kiva partners in developmet have been red tape here because of their
failure to comply with Kiva's integrity.

I think that Kiva's vision is very essential in the eradication of poverty its only un fortunate that, few kiva micro finance institutions are readily available to the rural working poor. Your ambition is very welcome, you would consider finding information abot any other MFIs, to help them get listed on the Kiva movement!

best wishes,
Richard-Uganda.

Hi all kiva friends,

Thanks for your advice,

Menicolas.

Our success is our hope in all humanity! We belong to each other and this is why we have an opportunity to look at others with the best we can give to them. In one spirit are we firm against all works of evil.

Richard kent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: