Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

April 23, 2014, 12:47:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: Journal entries that make an impact  (Read 51131 times)
0 Members and 3 Guests were last seen viewing this topic.
Amy-in-PHX
Kiva Supporter
Phoenix, AZ

View Profile
« Reply To This #280 on: January 28, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »

An excerpt from a fellow's update to one of my loans, which contains interesting info I did not know before:

In addition to microfinance, Kiva field partner Fundación Mario Santo Domingo (FMSD) has many other projects geared towards community development. Among these are their “sustainable communities,” Villa San Pablo and Villa Bicentenario.  FMSD essentially builds these communities from scratch, with homes created for 1500 families. These homes are provided at a subsidized cost - or sometimes for free - to those displaced by internal conflict in Colombia or living in extreme poverty.

Instead of simply building housing to provide for these groups, FMSD strives to build communities in the full sense of the word, because they believe “the starting point of comprehensive development is in the community”. FMSD integrates different forms of socioeconomic and technical development into the community with projects in health, safety, education and religious freedom, and community planning groups, among others. FMSD hopes that these communities will be like any other community, fully functioning and self-sufficient - providing the residents with all services and needs required to live a comfortable life. This is where Kiva loans come in. Kiva, through FMSD, provides loans to residents of these communities in order to catalyze economic activity among the residents and empower them to be independent.

Celeste Gonda, December 11, 2013
http://www.kiva.org/lend/536453

We can do no great things - only small things with great love.     (Mother Teresa)
Amy-in-PHX
Kiva Supporter
Phoenix, AZ

View Profile
« Reply To This #281 on: January 29, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »

Several months ago, Friendship Bridge reported to KIVA investors on the Trust Bank “Las Gaviotas de Chuisuc” and highlighted the story of 35 year old Ana. This mother of three had applied for a loan with Friendship Bridge to purchase two foot looms in order to increase the production of typical skirts called “cortes”. Ana is a wonderful success story as she has purchased five additional looms which brings the total number of looms that she has to eleven! She is able to produce more cortes and meet her customer’s demand. She is able to employ sixteen people including several family members! Ana is a stellar example of how perseverance and hard work can pay great dividends. She dreams of growing her business even more and will apply for an additional, larger loan.

Friendship Bridge provides monthly educational trainings on relevant subjects for their clients. As a majority of the women have had little or no education, these trainings are vital for the success of their success. Some of the subjects covered in these trainings include effective business practices, indebtedness, health and nutrition and self-eteem. It is the combination of these trainings and the loans that defines “Microcredit Plus” which is a road to empowerment and success for the clients.

The women of “Las Gaviotas de Chuisuc” Trust Bank are happy and grateful to KIVA investors and Friendship Bridge for this wonderful opportunity. Thank you!

Friendship Bridge
Posted by Marta Julia Ixtuc Cuc from Quetzaltenango, Guatemala Jan 29, 2014
https://www.kiva.org/updates/loan/599337

We can do no great things - only small things with great love.     (Mother Teresa)
Amy-in-PHX
Kiva Supporter
Phoenix, AZ

View Profile
« Reply To This #282 on: February 14, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »

An excerpt from an update I received on one of my loans, from MLO Humo:

Once her children had grown up, Nasirova started to think how to implement her dream. She contacted Kiva field partner MLO Humo and Partners and received a loan to purchase sewing equipment and set up a workshop. Through a group loan, Nasirova was able to purchase four sewing machines and two embroidery machines so she can do intricate styles. She now employs other dressmakers and provides jobs to women in her village.

“By taking out a group loan, I was able to take out a loan with no collateral," says Nasirova. "With my friend, Nargiza, I run one credit group and we treat our responsibilities seriously. Over three years, we have taken out a loan each year. As we pay back our loan each year, we are able to increase the loan amount the following year and expand our business. It is not difficult for us to pay back our loan, and we have a successful business.

See the "Updates" tab here:  http://www.kiva.org/updates/partner/568712

Amy-in-PHX
Kiva Supporter
Phoenix, AZ

View Profile
« Reply To This #283 on: February 16, 2014, 09:54:54 AM »

While the current economic backdrop has indeed exacerbated an already challenging small business climate, there are still a considerable number of stories that confirm how helpful your loans are to these entrepreneurs. One of Fundación Leon's clients that I was fortunate to meet provides an outstanding example of what a small amount of capital ($300, in this case) and a lot of hard work can accomplish. Roger Antonio of Nagarote started several years ago as a tailor's apprentice, learning a trade that he hoped would help him support his family. With a small loan from FL 2000, he was able to branch out on his own to build his own clientele in the local markets. Now after a pair of subsequent loans (which he used to buy fabric, threads, needles, scissors, sewing machine oil and various other tools) and hiring two employees to assist mostly with selling the dress shirts he sews, Roger Antonio has plans to expand out of his home and into his own shop. While he consistently works long hours, six or seven days a week, Roger Antonio not only is able to provide for his family, but he does so feeling a great amount of pride in the business he is successfully building.

The above paragraph is an excerpt from a Kiva Fellow's update "from the field," re Fundacion Leon 2000.
http://www.kiva.org/lend/354486 - see the "updates" tab.
Posted by Casey Cline from Leon, Nicaragua, Dec 1, 2011
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:56:30 AM by Amy-in-PHX » Logged

Amy-in-PHX
Kiva Supporter
Phoenix, AZ

View Profile
« Reply To This #284 on: February 26, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »

An update on a Caurie Senegal loan, dtd 20 Feb 2014, as rendered by Google Translate:
I bought 200 kg of cowpea that I sold in the village. My business is doing very well. Since I started taking a loan, I felt a financial improvement and now I no longer ask my husband some expenses. [In fact,] with my profits I help my husband on the family expenses. I intend to take another loan to increase my capital to fully develop my business.
http://www.kiva.org/updates/loan/602000

Amy-in-PHX
Kiva Supporter
Phoenix, AZ

View Profile
« Reply To This #285 on: March 06, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »

Large numbers of people taking the initiative to spare relatively smalls sums of money for a period of time is what makes stories like Christine’s possible. The loan helped her expand her business with the increased profits going towards the completion of her education. Degree in hand, she then added a new stream of income by becoming a teacher.
http://fellowsblog.kiva.org/2014/02/24/spare-parts-in-uganda-from-around-the-world

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: