Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

October 31, 2014, 05:33:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: LIBERIA  (Read 2702 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest were last seen viewing this topic.
charity
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:10:12 PM »

I recently got an email from the San Francisco chapter of Women for women International, letting me know about a screening they will be having of a film called "Pray the Devil Back to Hell."  The website and trailer is at: http://www.praythedevilbacktohell.com/v3/

Before this, I knew nothing about Liberia or it's history, but from what I gathered from the movie website, and reading a few other articles about Leymah Gbowee, one of the women involved, the film is apparently about a group of women who, using peaceful demonstrations, got then president of Liberia Charles Taylor to agree to attend peace talks to try and end the civil war that raged from 1989 - 2003, with only a small break.  They then followed him to Ghana for the peace talks and stayed outside the room and refused to let the warlords leave until they reached a peace agreement.   Shocked

A clip of Leymah on Colbert Nation says that part of the womens group original strategy for trying to end the war was to call on all women to withhold sex until the war ended.  Leymah had not heard of Lysistrata at the time:  http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/233532/july-14-2009/leymah-gbowee  In the interview she also talks about how Liberia was set up as a colony for freed American slaves, but that there were already native people living there, and the abuses that occurred from that.

Also, apparently since then, Charles Taylor has been exiled and is being tried for war crimes, and there is a new female democratically-elected Harvard-trained economist as president.  Apparently Liberias Chief of Police and Deputy Chief of Police are also currently women.  The woman who is now Deputy Chief of Police also played a big role in organizing women during the war and is in the movie. 

The whole story sounds amazing, and I would like to see the movie, but it is not out yet for individuals to rent or buy (I was able to 'Save' it on Netflix though, and was still considering possibly going to the San Francisco showing, even though it's on a weeknight so far from me!).  So when are there going to be more loans from Liberia?  Grin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 01:23:43 PM by charity » Logged
charity
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:08:48 PM »

There is a Kiva Fellow in Liberia, who posted his first entry today:
http://fellowsblog.kiva.org/2009/08/07/kiva-in-liberia_tpgfb/

He doesn't say a lot yet, but talks a little about Liberias history:

It is one of the few countries in Africa without roots in  European colonialism.   Liberia did not exist as a country until it was colonized by freed American slaves in 1847, forming a government based on the US system.

This government was overthrown by a military coup in 1980, which marked the beginning of 25 years of brutal civil war that left an estimated half a million people dead (out of a total population of just 3.5M)   A CNN report concluded that 90% of the female population was a victim of sexual violence during the war.
    Shocked   Cry
charity
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #2 on: August 15, 2009, 02:19:15 AM »

Here is a link to an hour long PBS special on the women fighting for peace in Liberia:
http://video.pbs.org/video/1157137218/search/liberia

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard it was good!
charity
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #3 on: August 18, 2009, 01:12:14 AM »

I just watched the hour long PBS special about Leymah Gbowee and the Womens Peace Movement in Liberia (http://video.pbs.org/video/1157137218/search/liberia), and it was very good.  There were several clips from the movie "Pray the Devil back to Hell," as well as interviews with Leymah Gbowee and the film producer, Abigail Disney.  Leymah Gbowee says she is headed to Zimbabwe next, to 'walk with' the women there...  Wink
waywardcats
Kiva Supporter
SF Bay Area

Xania, Crete

View Profile
« Reply To This #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »

Articles in the SFGate (San Francisco online news) today: 

Post-civil war Liberia at a crossroads

This 9-month-old boy was abandoned by his mother when she took him in for an immunization at Monrovia's Old Redemption Hospital. He is being cared for by the mother of a young girl who is hospitalized there.

'For us Liberians, land is life'

Where rubber meets reality in Liberia

"Our daughters can contribute just as much to society as our sons, and our common prosperity will be advanced by allowing all humanity - men and women - to reach their full potential. I do not believe that women must make the same choices as men in order to be equal, and I respect those women who choose to live their lives in traditional roles. But it should be their choice. That is why the United States will partner with any Muslim-majority country to support expanded literacy for girls, and to help young women pursue employment through micro-financing that helps people live their dreams." - President Barack Obama, June 4, 2009
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: