Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

October 31, 2014, 12:40:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: Kiva on Penn Says  (Read 3235 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest were last seen viewing this topic.
chris
Kiva Supporter
Poughkeepsie, NY

kivastore.org

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:39:55 PM »

I don't know if anyone here is a fan of Penn Jillette (or his Vegas show or Showtime series), but he just did an episode of his video blog about Kiva:

Diane R
Administrator
Henderson, NV

View Profile
« Reply To This #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:10:04 PM »

Using the details Penn provided about some of the loans he's made led me to his lender profile.  He just started lending a week ago.

--Diane.
Jan & John
Kiva Supporter
Calgary, Canada

View Profile
« Reply To This #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:31:20 PM »

video not available in your country due to copyright restrictions...

sigh, jan

"The place God calls you to is the place where your deepest gladness and the world's deepest hunger meet" - Fredrick Buechner (in Wishful Thinking).
"Every child should be well born, well fed, well taught, well housed and well treated."
Maude Riley, Alberta Council on Child and Family Welfare 1923
"Each of us feels that we are just a drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less without that missing drop." --Mother Teresa

1 click per person per day on this link means 1 additional cent for the Fistula Foundation - thanks!
Diane R
Administrator
Henderson, NV

View Profile
« Reply To This #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:59:05 PM »

Jan, try this and see if it works when not via YouTube:  http://crackle.com/c/Penn_Says/KIVA_Micro-Loans/2480027/

(Might not work, but I thought it was worth a try.)

--Diane.
TheTatiana
Kiva Supporter

my playground is the universe

View Profile
« Reply To This #4 on: October 23, 2009, 05:57:46 AM »

Diane, I love the quote on Penn's profile of why he lends: "I want to do god's work, because there's no god to do it."  Now that's an atheist I can work shoulder-to-shoulder with.  My sentiments exactly!  Except for the "no god" part, that is.  =)  I would say for myself that I want to do God's work because we're his hands here on earth, because he does his work through us.  But, you know, Penn's idea works too, for those with his predilections. 

As an engineer, I love the poem "The Sons of Martha" by Rudyard Kipling. 

The sons of Mary seldom bother, for they have inherited that good part;
But the Sons of Martha favour their Mother of the careful soul and the troubled heart.
And because she lost her temper once, and because she was rude to the Lord her Guest,
Her Sons must wait upon Mary's Sons, world without end, reprieve, or rest.

It is their care in all the ages to take the buffet and cushion the shock.
It is their care that the gear engages; it is their care that the switches lock.
It is their care that the wheels run truly; it is their care to embark and entrain,
Tally, transport, and deliver duly the Sons of Mary by land and main.

They say to mountains, "Be ye removed." They say to the lesser floods, "Be dry."
Under their rods are the rocks reproved-they are not afraid of that which is high.
Then do the hill-tops shake to the summit-then is the bed of the deep laid bare,
That the Sons of Mary may overcome it, pleasantly sleeping and unaware.

They finger death at their gloves' end where they piece and repiece the living wires.
He rears against the gates they tend: they feed him hungry behind their fires.
Early at dawn, ere men see clear, they stumble into his terrible stall,
And hale him forth a haltered steer, and goad and turn him till evenfall.

To these from birth is Belief forbidden; from these till death is Relief afar.
They are concerned with matters hidden - under the earthline their altars are-
The secret fountains to follow up, waters withdrawn to restore to the mouth,
And gather the floods as in a cup, and pour them again at a city's drouth.

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose.
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
As in the thronged and the lighted ways, so in the dark and the desert they stand,
Wary and watchful all their days that their brethren's day may be long in the land.

Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat -
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that!
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, not as a witness to any creed,
But simple service simply given to his own kind in their common need.

And the Sons of Mary smile and are blessed - they know the Angels are on their side.
They know in them is the Grace confessed, and for them are the Mercies multiplied.
They sit at the Feet - they hear the Word - they see how truly the Promise runs.
They have cast their burden upon the Lord, and - the Lord He lays it on Martha's Sons!

Kipling is so great!  The story of Martha and Mary in the bible always puzzled me.  It seemed unjust, somehow.  In like manner, most people don't truly see the service of all the people who make our modern comforts of civilization possible.  It reminds me of motherhood, in fact, in the way we take it for granted, yet it nurtures and nourishes us.  Kipling's poem about it is just grand, I think.  It seems to make the bible story make sense to me, and I know it makes me feel proud and privileged to be an engineer.  =)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 06:00:22 AM by TheTatiana » Logged
Jan & John
Kiva Supporter
Calgary, Canada

View Profile
« Reply To This #5 on: October 23, 2009, 10:11:27 AM »

Jan, try this and see if it works when not via YouTube:  http://crackle.com/c/Penn_Says/KIVA_Micro-Loans/2480027/

(Might not work, but I thought it was worth a try.)

--Diane.

thanks Diane Smiley
but I got someone called Greg Proops at The Purple Onion and then it cycled to more clips of stand up comics???

I would have stayed but I'm not up on all the US news and the language got a little rough  Wink

however when I looked at the url it said http://crackle.com/unavailable/

oh well, I can't be involved in every discussion
-jan-

"The place God calls you to is the place where your deepest gladness and the world's deepest hunger meet" - Fredrick Buechner (in Wishful Thinking).
"Every child should be well born, well fed, well taught, well housed and well treated."
Maude Riley, Alberta Council on Child and Family Welfare 1923
"Each of us feels that we are just a drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less without that missing drop." --Mother Teresa

1 click per person per day on this link means 1 additional cent for the Fistula Foundation - thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: