Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

September 23, 2014, 07:23:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154]   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: KSC=KIVAShoppingClub Updates  (Read 314097 times)
0 Members and 5 Guests were last seen viewing this topic.
Amy-in-PHX
Kiva Supporter
Phoenix, AZ

View Profile
« Reply To This #1530 on: February 27, 2012, 05:46:25 PM »

Further on the subject of "autolending" for KSC1, 2 and 3: 

I thought it was time I reviewed the autolending criteria on my own account, so I had a chance to see what parameters can be set on the Kiva site.  The length of the loan's repayment schedule, and currency risk, are not criteria you can set explicitly.  BUT, Kiva lets you select Field Partners that are acceptable for your account, from a list of all FPs, by checking them off.  You can exercise control by selecting which FPs you allow the KSC money to go to -- For example, in Ecuador, Fundacion Espoir loans tend to be shorter-term, by several months, than loans by Banco D-Miro.  So you could keep your loans shorter by checking Espoir and not checking D-Miro.  It would be a good idea to also specify a minimum star rating (say, 3.5), so that the autolending will cease to any FP whose rating falls below 3.5.

People could volunteer to review the parameters of the FPs in a given region (for example, South America) and suggest a list of FPs to be checked as OK to lend to, in the KSC accounts.

We can do no great things - only small things with great love.     (Mother Teresa)
Amy-in-PHX
Kiva Supporter
Phoenix, AZ

View Profile
« Reply To This #1531 on: March 05, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »

If auto lending is not an acceptable alternative for the KSC funds, what about pouring them into a "perpetual" lending fund managed by Poverty2Prosperity?  Since KSC has more than $1,000, P2P would permit the creation of a separate portfolio with the money.  Call it the KivaShoppingClub Perpetual fund.  Or the KSC Perpetual Fund.  An example of such a fund is here:  http://www.kiva.org/lender/P2PScottBanister.  P2P also says they will honor the "lending preferences" of the donor of such a fund, so KSC's lending criteria could be preserved.  P2P has a website with their info, here:  poverty2prosperity.org.

Doing that would keep the money circulating for the original purpose of the donors (Kiva loans) without the need for further investment of time by Henry & his team.   

We can do no great things - only small things with great love.     (Mother Teresa)
cjp1973
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #1532 on: March 06, 2012, 04:22:40 AM »

If auto lending is not an acceptable alternative for the KSC funds, what about pouring them into a "perpetual" lending fund managed by Poverty2Prosperity?  Since KSC has more than $1,000, P2P would permit the creation of a separate portfolio with the money.  Call it the KivaShoppingClub Perpetual fund.  Or the KSC Perpetual Fund.  An example of such a fund is here:  http://www.kiva.org/lender/P2PScottBanister.  P2P also says they will honor the "lending preferences" of the donor of such a fund, so KSC's lending criteria could be preserved.  P2P has a website with their info, here:  poverty2prosperity.org.

Doing that would keep the money circulating for the original purpose of the donors (Kiva loans) without the need for further investment of time by Henry & his team.   

I hope that this money starts circulating again...whatever way that happens.  Anything I can do to help let me know....
Henry
Kiva Supporter

hmmm, that smells like metal

View Profile
« Reply To This #1533 on: March 07, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »

regarding KSC accounts....

When I shut My KSC down, I printed a listing of where the funds came from off of IGive.
There are like 18 months left until all loans are paid back (I will have to confirm this time as I haven't looked in a few months).
when ALL ksc loans have been paid back, I will calculate each persons share of the remaining money (igive, less fee's, less expenses, less defaults) -- I will notify each person of their amount and offer them the choice of the following:

I will send them a check in the amount of their share.
I will donate their share to KIVA.org
It can be donated to the africa school (assuming someone is still here to make that transfer - which I hope they will be)
or, they will allow me to donate it to my local HIV/AIDS charity... who i'm becoming way too familiar with

(I will only do this for individual shares greater than $25.00) - there are numerous $1.12, .87cents etc... donations.
There are actually only about 15 individuals who raised most of the money.  
As for the new funds that are being generated by people still shopping after I suggested you pick another charity, Thank you!  I'm paying for medicines with it  Smiley

As for the KSC Teams, I was never involved in that  
As for the KSC website.... still a thorn in my side, i can do nothing about and i hate some of the old pages are existing??  Because that came from Diane, i know they must be, if I had seen it, i would say it's a cached page.  Smiley

after several weeks of thought on this after I shut KSC down, this was the most fair thing I could think of, It is impossible for me to calculate at this time what to offer back to individuals.  And since I am now an EX-KIVA person due to their handling of some issues I do wish for my share to go elsewhere. 

As for ongoing purchases, again THANKS!!!!!  LOL    Seriously though, someone could easily create a new IGIVE page for something like KSC and start managing it.  

Now, i'm off to more doctors appts!  (for those of you who read my FB page)

(please note I do assume all responsibility for this thing getting messed up, it was totally my fault we lost the KSC domain, and my anger and suspecions at the time were uncalled for)  Loss of that, along with the way KFriends was going, and the way KIVA.org was treating certain issues... well this is where we are now.  

Please feel free to discuss, but this is how it's gonna be.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:57:51 AM by Henry » Logged

ornitzi bilatzi monteisizi
Diane R
Administrator
Bay Area, CA

View Profile
« Reply To This #1534 on: March 07, 2012, 03:47:58 PM »

Henry, it's nice to hear from you and thank you for the update.  Two things occur to me after reading your reply:

• Have you considered the option to transfer the funds as they're returned to P2P which would keep lending in perpetuity, rather than going through the work of figuring out who is entitled to how much of the repaid funds?  I understand that some folks whose purchases initially funded the KSC kitty are now no longer lending through Kiva, but the funds were originally provided by iGive for charitable purposes, so just taking back one's iGive-provided refunds might be questionable.  And,

• Could someone who has Captaincy of the KSC team (Oli, Jackie, Jane, Kerry) change the Summary page on the KSC team page at Kiva?  Right now that page indicates that KSC is still a going concern and points people to the iGive sign-up page for KSC, but it's probably best to remove that if new contributions aren't being accepted for the purpose of Kiva lending.  (Also, there's a link there to kivashoppingclub.com which should be removed.)

Thanks again, Henry, and be well.

--Diane.
(EDIT: Thanks for making those changes to the KSC team page, Kerry!)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:48:26 PM by Diane R » Logged
waywardcats
Kiva Supporter
SF Bay Area

Xania, Crete

View Profile
« Reply To This #1535 on: March 07, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »

(EDIT: Thanks for making those changes to the KSC team page, Kerry!)

You are most welcome Diane.  Please let me know if anyone has a suggestion for further changes and I will be happy to include them.

-Kerry-

Edited to fix borked html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:04:39 PM by waywardcats » Logged

"Our daughters can contribute just as much to society as our sons, and our common prosperity will be advanced by allowing all humanity - men and women - to reach their full potential. I do not believe that women must make the same choices as men in order to be equal, and I respect those women who choose to live their lives in traditional roles. But it should be their choice. That is why the United States will partner with any Muslim-majority country to support expanded literacy for girls, and to help young women pursue employment through micro-financing that helps people live their dreams." - President Barack Obama, June 4, 2009
Henry
Kiva Supporter

hmmm, that smells like metal

View Profile
« Reply To This #1536 on: March 07, 2012, 05:33:50 PM »

at first i received SEVERAL offers from P2P to transfer to P2P,  I discussed with one of the major donors and my own personal thoughts on doing this and it is not an option we wanted to do. Those who will receive checks back may donate to P2P if they would like to keep their money in KIVA in that fashion.  I personally need my funds back to work local here.  It's great that many of us don't 'need' this money and can afford to continue the use of KIVA for helping others around the world.  I'm being selfish and trying to make mine help local.  Unfortunaetly Alabama doesn't have the resources some of the larger states .... and other states that are not so ... hmmmm.... shall I say "Baptist" about things.  Our HIV resources don't get the grants, the donations, we don't have the Rich gay friendly here,  and the Need is Here in the same proportion as other states.  And the really sad part (to me) is that it's the stigma? of helping HIV/AIDS - little do the "Baptist" know, the majority of the clients suffering are not gay in this state.  I could go on, but my brain is having too much trouble putting stuff into words.

I've missed this place, but I mostly miss the beginning of it - I was happy to have had KF in my life, it and most of you (gone or still here) were a wonderful part of my life, I learned many things, most of all, I met and learned from some VERY GENEROUS people.  That is a blessing I can't ever forget.  I was changed by KF, as I am changing everyday.  I feel KSC did good, my own funds did good, I helped make a unique fantastic quilt.  I even met in person a few of you.  (then again, i met my husband online .... 13 years later all good!!!)

Huggers and Thank you.  (I strongly suggest someone create another KSC if they want to manage it - the money grows fairly fast)

ornitzi bilatzi monteisizi
charity
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #1537 on: March 14, 2012, 01:24:50 AM »

Henry - I don't know how much of that KSC money was from me, but please keep it for your local community in Alabama.  I hope you are doing well.   Friends
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154]   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: