Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

April 18, 2014, 05:34:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Poll
Question: What should the first Kiva calendar(s) look like?
ONE calendar, "Best Smiles" theme only - 13 (32.5%)
ONE calendar, mixed themes - 19 (47.5%)
MORE THAN ONE calendar, single and mixed themes - 8 (20%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: Kiva Calendar(s)?  (Read 6665 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest were last seen viewing this topic.
RichardF
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2007, 07:14:53 PM »

Kiva Friends want to create Kiva calendars of photogenic entrepreneurs.  How should we begin?  One calendar?  Start with "Best Smiles"?  Mix things up?  Give the people lots of choices?  Pick one of the options above to help us focus how to start.

Soul lives by giving.
Stephanie
« Reply To This #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:57:57 PM »

None of the options unless the entrepreneurs pictured on the calendar give their consent.  Some of them might have privacy issues.
KivanSteven
Kiva Supporter
near Niagara Falls NY

View Profile
« Reply To This #2 on: September 06, 2007, 09:38:16 PM »

I bet when they sign up for these loans they have to give consent to have their information and pictures posted for the world to see anyways.  If they had privacy issues they couldnt be benefitting through Kiva. What might be an issue is making money off of the calendars if they were sold, which they should be in a perfect world in the kiva store in order to help Kiva out.  Even if someone took it upon themselves to create these calendars, (the thought crossed my mind), and sell them merely to help fund loans from a "calendar" account on Kiva, someone would raise an issue I bet.  What do you guys think?  Should someone contact Kiva and run the idea by them and see if anyone has rights to these pictures or if there is a problem with raising money through a calendar if it goes entirely towards the organization responsible for helping the people featured?  What about just for fun, can we create these in mass and distribute them for free?  Do we not do that anyways if we were to create a brochure and distribute it?  Steff does bring up a good point though. 

BTW someone really into posting the best smiles should do a poll for best smile....throw a group of 5 up there in five different groups, for 25 total and then the winners of each group, 5 in total, can be placed into a new poll and face off against one another until we come up with the best smile on kiva thus far....sound like fun?  kind of like a playoffs...then the winner that week can face off against the winner of a whole new round of smiles the next three weeks until the month is over...leaving one overall winner per month....then after 6 months, 12 months, whatever, we can place each monthly winner in a final poll to determine the best smile of the year....that would be fun u guys!!!  The best smile could be on the cover of a calendar, while the monthly winners could be heading each corresponding month they won, with an alternate filling in for whoever makes it to the cover.  Is that wrong or indecent in any way?  I dont know...The best smile topic is really catching on I think, and at first I wasnt too fond of it but its really growing on me and theres a lot of fun to have with it.  Maybe its a silly idea, but I like it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:51:56 PM by akshara » Logged

I find not direction in the readings of those with whom my eccentricities are similar, but rather validation.

My only solace is that I find a peaceful place where I might be resigned to my depriving loneliness.
Jill
« Reply To This #3 on: September 06, 2007, 09:50:39 PM »

Thanks very very much, Richard,
for getting this Poll going.
I almost didn't even see it, so I'm planning on sprinkling Kiva Calendar Poll Bread Crumbs
in various threads, and would be happy to have others do the same.

I'd suggest keeping the Poll open for two weeks from today,
unless you or someone else feels strongly about a different time period.

During that time, we all, still, can Troll and Treasure Hunt for
Special Special Pictures,
Putting the Smiling Ones in the Best Smiles thread, AND
the Non-Smiling Ones in the Other Entrepreneur Photos thread,
or in a totally different (more specific?) thread, altogether.

I may repeat this part in the main Calendar thread,
but I don't think we have anything to lose by collecting
all kinds of Beautiful Pictures, smiling or not, in the various threads.

One -- Having the Picture threads just makes hanging out at the Forum that much more fun.
    Two -- Even if the vote, this time, ends up being for Best Smiles, Only,
              ALL THIS IS FOR OUR FIRST CALENDAR ....  FIRST, HOPEFULLY, OF MANY,
              and HAVING OTHERS PRE-SELECTED ON OTHER THREADS
              WILL JUST MAKE PUTTING TOGETHER FUTURE CALENDARS THAT MUCH EASIER!

For whatever it's worth, (maybe not much?)
I'll comment on Steff's concern about Entrepreneurs' Permission for Photo Use
in the main Calendar thread,
http://www.kivafriends.org/index.php/topic,996.msg8350/boardseen.html#new

EVERYBODY PLEASE VOTE IN CALENDAR POLL #1, ABOVE,
     IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY DONE THAT.

EDIT:
    Hey, Akshara, Mr.Idea Man Smiley, I'm going to shoot you,
    coming up with an idea for yet Another (and unrelated) Poll
    in the midst of all this Organizing Madness.

Anyway, I love your enthusiasm and your apparent
    indefatigable capacity for generating new ideas.
    If we're lucky, we'll get it ALL figured out!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:57:50 PM by Jill » Logged
Henry
Kiva Supporter

hmmm, that smells like metal

View Profile
« Reply To This #4 on: September 06, 2007, 10:23:42 PM »

HOW ABOUT!    This is something we would do with some charities I've worked with (but a little different- maybe works here).......  we auction off each month!     put your money where your smile is!   

(posted elsewhere....but you know, there are now 500002,3e000 squared post about a calendar now)

ornitzi bilatzi monteisizi
RichardF
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #5 on: September 06, 2007, 10:41:53 PM »

Please try to keep the focus of your comments here related to the poll question - one or more calendars to start, what topic(s)?

There are plenty of other places for "off topic" comments.

Soul lives by giving.
Eli
Kiva Supporter

Make coffee, not war [_]2

View Profile
« Reply To This #6 on: October 18, 2007, 09:55:08 PM »

Personally, we get calendared out, too many favorite organizations put out calenders and we just don't have room or need for them all.  We keep a few favorites and donate the rest to hubby's classrooms.  Maybe we should start a new thread for Kivafriends to put their heads together for other unique fund raising ideas.  Too bad Ben & Jerry's can't sell ice cream from their cart here at the kivafriends.org!

In the end, we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we have been taught.
                           ~Baba Dioum, Senegal
cpbailey
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #7 on: October 19, 2007, 03:23:55 AM »

Eli,

What type of fundraising did you have in mind?  I have done a number of different fundraisers for various groups, and I was curious...

Also, who is raising the money?  Non-profit organization?  Individuals?  Group without 501c3 status?

What would the money go toward?

I think notecards or postcards would be a better fundraiser than a calendar.  There is a longer season for selling for one thing.

Colette
Evelyn Yvonne Theriault
Kiva Supporter
Quebec

View Profile
« Reply To This #8 on: January 03, 2008, 07:54:37 PM »

Greetings,
Further down the line you might also want to consider offering personalized calendars that include pictures of that lender's investments of the year before. In other words, a loan from June 2007 would appear on the June 2008 month. Of course, such a calendar would have to cost more.
As a teacher I wouldn't mind hanging that in my classroom to inspire the next year's students and as an attention getter for other teachers. Businesses might also see it as another way to display their participation in KIVA.
Evelyn Yvonne Theriault
Entrepreneurs 121

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault, Teacher
Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. Nelson Mandela
Eli
Kiva Supporter

Make coffee, not war [_]2

View Profile
« Reply To This #9 on: January 03, 2008, 08:02:34 PM »

Evelyn,

Just an idea here:

If you join iGive (see 'Online shopping that helps support Kiva' link at top of page) then go to vista.com through iGive you can create your own calendar with your own images, and your calendar purchase will give KivaFriends a percentage of the sale in which to sponsor Kiva loans through the Kiva Shoppers Club.  Each business donates a different percentage, vista.com gives 8.4% of the sales!

An addicted iGive-r,

Eli

P.S.  Welcome to Kiva Friends!!

In the end, we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we have been taught.
                           ~Baba Dioum, Senegal
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: