Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

October 24, 2014, 04:28:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: Learning Through Pictures: Usually Painless & Sometimes, Incredibly Powerful  (Read 35935 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest were last seen viewing this topic.
johnrigdon
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:14:33 PM »

>>I have no idea why we haven't had more of these Haitian loans, but it certainly does not seem to be because of any problem in repayment rate. I would snatch up any other loan to Haiti that was posted.

I talked at length last week with a senior member of one of the largest micro finance organizations in Haiti and his response was that KIVA does not match their business model and that their capital needs in Haiti are fully funded.

He went on to say that they may have needs for additional capital in Haiti in the future should some construction projects or other large capital needs projects materialize, but he expected that those funds would be provided through their existing channels.

Money in Haiti (and loans) is tightly controlled through the existing half dozen or so banks operating there and it is extremely difficult, if not impossible for a micro-finance organization to become established without participating in the corruption of paying off those in control.

John Rigdon

See The Price of Sugar

www.thepriceofsugar.com

Jill
« Reply To This #11 on: February 01, 2008, 12:39:04 PM »

Thanks, again, johnrigdon.
                                                           Absolutely Exquisite Animal (news) Photos:
                                                           http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21661671/
     This website is set up, different from many of the others, so that I can’t give you any samples.  But I was just now looking for some links to send to my sweet, animal-loving niece.  I came upon this website that has the most truly superlative photos, along with “learning stuff” captions, and I KNOW that many of you would get a lot of pleasure from it.

1) Click on the link, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21661671/
It will take you to a page where it says at the top of the page, “Animal Tracks archive”  “Do you love images of critters? See previous editions of msnbc.com's roundup of the best animal photos.”

2) Then click on either the picture of the cat, the word “Launch,” or  where it says “Animal Tracks Archive.”

3) That will take you to the most recent array of photos, those from January 20-27, with an absolutely fantastic pic of a stork backlit by the sun 
   will be displayed. Click, there, where it says, “See the slide show.”

4) Now, with a bigger picture, the first one you will see will be one captioned,“Doggy drool; a woman holds her (Pomeranian) dog in a pet café in Hong Kong” and you will see the first array, of many many others you may also view, of 17 pics each.

They’re absolutely fantastic.  There’s one of a couple of Chinese pigs sliding down a kids’ slide, an exquisite shot of a baby zebra with the most amazing markings, another of a “dog stretched out on a bed, getting a massage at “Chateau Poochie,” a luxury hotel for dogs and cats in Pompano Beach, Florida", etc.

There’s something for all you cat lovers, dog lovers, elephant lover(s), just about everybody – and there’s a lot of learning that incidentally gets done, almost without a person’s even noticing.

You’ll find a wonderful close-up pic of a snoozing hamster in Leipzig, Germany, with a caption explaining how “scientists from the United States and Europe are studying the similarity of phenomena caused by Alzheimer’s in humans with the brain activity of hibernating hamsters.”  (How do they even think up these things?)

The following three pics were not taken from that website, because, as I told you, I can’t grab any from there, but I wanted you to have something for all your trouble in reading the above….

Pic #1: Eli, this is for you!
A two week old baby elephant, which was born in an elephant orphanage, where both his parents were living, is seen with his mother in Pinnawala, about 70 Kilometers (44 miles) north east of Colombo, Sri Lanka, Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2008.( (Associated Press / January 16, 2008)

Pic #2: An albino alligator is seen at an aquarium in Sao Paulo, Friday, Jan. 4, 2008. Thieves stole seven rare albino alligators from a Brazilian university zoo and investigators suspect animal smugglers were behind the crime, officials said Friday. The alligators are extremely rare and are worth about $9,700 (6,600) apiece, zoo director Itamar Assumpcao said.( (Associated Press / January 4, 2008)

Pic #3: Chinese woman Wu Kunqun lifts the head of her boa constrictor Lulu after she swam in the Yangtze River on November 23, 2007 in Chongqing Municipality, China. The boa constrictor which is 6.9 feet in length and weighs 12.1 pounds, has been raised by Wang Qihuai and Wu Kunqun for one and half a years. The couple have been taking the snake swimming for half an hour every day since July. (China Photos/Getty Images) / November 23, 2007)

* 34795825-1.jpg (66.71 KB, 500x332 - viewed 184 times.)

* 34572691.jpg (20.11 KB, 500x333 - viewed 168 times.)

* 33928940.jpg (47.84 KB, 500x324 - viewed 165 times.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 11:50:16 AM by Jill » Logged
Wood Fairy Glenda
Kiva Supporter
Madison, WI

View Profile
« Reply To This #12 on: February 01, 2008, 12:46:19 PM »

Don't get me started on animals, Jill! Shocked I'll never stop. Wink

Here's a neat bit of news from BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7213571.stm
A new species, a kind of Giant Elephant Shrew, has been documented (in the mountains of Tanzania):

* _44392414_shrew_416.jpg (19.78 KB, 416x203 - viewed 204 times.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:48:23 PM by Wood Fairy Glenda » Logged

Wood Fairy Glenda
Jill
« Reply To This #13 on: February 01, 2008, 10:10:22 PM »

Pic #1: GERMANY
A model walks on the runway with a belt design like a gun during the Berlin Fashion Week, in Berlin on Jan. 30, presenting a creation by German designers Unrath and Strano. (Miguel Villagran, Associated Press / January 30, 2008)

I often think about the idea of a Time Capsule, and what they should put into one to reflect and most accurately represent “civilization” as 
       we (the ones who finally would disappear and fall off the face of the earth) knew it in the late twentieth, early twenty-first centuries.  It 
       occurred to me that this little fashion accessory might just be the perfect thing for it.

Pic #2: JORDAN
Men play with snow in Amman January 31, 2008. A heavy overnight snowstorm blanketed Jordan on Wednesday, closing schools and stores and grounding public transportation.  REUTERS/Muhammad Hamed

A person might reasonably deduce from the way this guy’s face has joy written all over it that snow falling in Jordan is a relatively     
            uncommon occurrence.

Pics #3 & #4: Berkeley, UNITED STATES  & Kabul, AFGHANISTAN
These two pictures came one right after the other in the English Newspaper, The Guardian’s website photo array
#3: The feet of University of California at Berkeley basketball player Patrick Christopher with some of his shoes    Photo: Ben Margot/ AP
#4: An Afghan girl waits for food relief      Photograph: Rafiq Maqbool/AP
          There’s something about this, as suggested by the juxtaposition of these photos and feet, that for some reason, just doesn’t seem quite right.    Now, what could that be?  Can't imagine why there'd be any resentment toward the West.....

Pic #5: SAUDI ARABIA
Al Janadriyah, Saudi Arabia: President George Bush talks with King Abdullah while viewing Arabian stallions during a tour of the Al Janadriyah ranch        Photograph: Shaun Thew/EPA  1-16-08

Aaa-hh, being President is just one danged ranch vacation after another…..

YES, All Five of the Pics Will Enlarge if You Click On Them.

* 35022300.jpg (37.06 KB, 500x277 - viewed 195 times.)

* JORDANsnow.jpg (32.75 KB, 500x351 - viewed 175 times.)

* GD5986556@The-feet-of-U0011-575.jpg (100.56 KB, 600x390 - viewed 196 times.)

* GD5994091@An-Afghan-girl-waits-7076.jpg (91.39 KB, 600x379 - viewed 181 times.)

* GD5869928@epa01222835-U-3692.jpg (33.94 KB, 600x395 - viewed 217 times.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 11:49:00 AM by Jill » Logged
Jill
« Reply To This #14 on: February 01, 2008, 10:34:28 PM »

I thought this was pretty amazing.
It's not exactly a question of putting these seeds into a "Time Capsule," but it's clear that these scientists are doing everything they know to do to try to make sure these seeds are preserved, no matter what.....

FROM MEXICO TO THE ARCTIC   1-23-08
Texcoco, Mexico: Technicians at the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center sort samples of wild maize seeds, known as Teocintle. The CIMMYT is preparing to send a shipment of thousands of unique seed samples of maize and wheat to the Svalbard Global Seed Vault located in the permafrost of a remote Arctic archipelago that will protect millions of the world's agricultural seeds from climate change, plant epidemics, natural disasters or war.        Photograph: Eduardo Verdugo/AP

* GD5957935@Technicians-a0017-9089.jpg (76.78 KB, 600x376 - viewed 212 times.)
cpbailey
Kiva Supporter

View Profile
« Reply To This #15 on: February 01, 2008, 11:08:22 PM »

The Price of Sugar seems really interesting.  I take it that distribution is not commercial at this time--just through churches.  Anyone know of a place it is being shown in Sacramento to Bay Area?

Colette
KivanSteven
Kiva Supporter
near Niagara Falls NY

View Profile
« Reply To This #16 on: February 02, 2008, 07:56:40 AM »

Maybe if it snowed more often in the Middle East it would be a more tranquil place.  That man looks like he cant wait to sneak up from behind and clobber someone with that gigantic snowball...and thats just purely fun and carefree.

I find not direction in the readings of those with whom my eccentricities are similar, but rather validation.

My only solace is that I find a peaceful place where I might be resigned to my depriving loneliness.
Jill
« Reply To This #17 on: February 02, 2008, 09:40:01 AM »

Pic #1: Workers pack roses at Oserian farm in Naivasha northwest of Nairobi, in 2006. Weeks of unrest in Kenya have left an unlikely victim: its flourishing horticulture industry, one of the world's largest rose exporters, faces a production crunch ahead of Valentine's Day.  (AFP/ File/Simon Maina)
      Just as some friends of mine at this wonderful organization, Institute for Community Leadership , try to remind themselves and others, right before every meal, to think of and be grateful to the struggling farmers and field workers, the world over, without whom, we would not have food on our tables, how many of us ever once stopped to consider where our Valentine roses may have come from?  How many of us would have ever guessed that Kenya has been one of the world’s largest rose exporters?   I sure wouldn’t have…

Pic #2
: West Virginia is considering a bill to teach schoolchildren how to handle a gun and hunt safely, its proponent hopes will increase state revenues from hunting licenses, a state lawmaker said Thursday.  AFP/File/Jeff Haynes
       There’s an expression, “Now I’ve heard EVERYTHING!”   "Gun Handling 101."  Will they have that before or after they learn deportment and their ABC's?

* capt.sge.epf77.010208062119.photo00.photo.default-512x342.jpg (104.74 KB, 399x266 - viewed 177 times.)

* capt.sge.eol00.010208022809.photo00.photo.default-512x344.jpg (81.41 KB, 399x268 - viewed 175 times.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:42:45 AM by Jill » Logged
Jill
« Reply To This #18 on: February 02, 2008, 10:01:04 AM »

Passengers gather to get on trains in China's southern city of Guangzhou.
A pregnant Chinese woman trapped on a bus in icy weather in south China for three days has given birth to a baby boy, which she will name Zhongsheng or "Born in a Crowd," state press said Thursday.   (AFP/Liu Jin) 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080131/od_nm/weather_drivers_odd_dc_2
The worst snows in 50 years in southern China have hit as tens of millions of people attempt to return home to celebrate the Lunar New Year with families.
        The next time you’re somewhere and you’re feeling inclined to complain that it’s too crowded, if you want to see crowded…..

EDIT
:  Thinking of those numbers, and the potential "markets” they represent, it isn’t that difficult to understand why the United States government (and others?) were willing to overlook certain itsy bitsy tiny little human rights abuses to avail themselves of the great potential economic advantages of doing business there.  The same goes for (was it?) Google’s concessions on censorship when they wanted to tap into China’s millions…. and millions….. and millions... and millions.   Profits first, human rights second.  And so, what else is new?

* capt.sge.emf38.310108190012.photo00.photo.default-512x339.jpg (113.2 KB, 400x265 - viewed 187 times.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 10:16:55 AM by Jill » Logged
Jill
« Reply To This #19 on: February 02, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »

All the following are from the BBC News website article, “In Pictures: China’s Weather Chaos.” The numbers are close to inconceivable.

...leaving more than 100,000 people stranded at railway stations.

Fourteen of China's 31 provinces have been hit, with nearly 80 million people directly affected.

The cold snap has come as hundreds of millions of people are trying to travel to their home provinces to celebrate the Chinese New Year.

* _44387098_railway_crowd_416getty.jpg (51.52 KB, 416x300 - viewed 190 times.)

* _44387014_umbrellas_getty416.jpg (39.37 KB, 416x300 - viewed 189 times.)

* _44387020_nanjing_trees_416getty.jpg (50.72 KB, 416x300 - viewed 192 times.)

* _44387019_face_416ap.jpg (39.84 KB, 416x300 - viewed 199 times.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 10:40:27 AM by Jill » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: