Download the Kiva toolbar! - (what's this?)

October 23, 2014, 04:57:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register (it's quick and free!) for full access to all community features and functions, including instant messaging and message viewing preferences.

Login with username, password and session length

Cool Forum Options
: Not available. Login or register :)
: Popular Topics on Kiva Friends

Kivapedia
: View recent changes on Kivapedia
: Online shopping that helps support Kiva
: List of Kiva microfinance institutions
: List of Kiva group lenders
: Kiva Timeline : More...

Welcome to Kiva Friends, an active community for Kiva users, staff and supporters. Don't know what Kiva is? Read this!

Home   Search Calendar Help Tags Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  
Author Topic: Upcoming tune-up to My Portfolio > Loans  (Read 11059 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest were last seen viewing this topic.
AccountAbility
Kiva Supporter
Friday Harbor, WA

View Profile
« Reply To This #10 on: July 20, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »

I am still puzzled over the proposed new page "My recently ended loans".  Is it a solution for which there was no problem?  Huh?

I have been one of the lenders expressing a desire for Kiva to mark the transaction/event that triggers a loan moving from paying back to paid back and results in the "You have credits" email stating the percentage repaid is 100%.

I would like that trigger to somehow become visible, whether a mark on the transaction in the Transactions record, or an optional email announcing the fact that the borrower has paid back 100%-- or something similar.

Sure there may be other ways for a loan to "end", but I am not focusing on those because those sort of drift toward "ended" without a transaction (other than those refunded).

Dan

We are loaners!
Cailin@Kiva
Kiva Staffer

View Profile
« Reply To This #11 on: July 20, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »

Okay, let's wrap up "My Loans" and then come back to "My Recently Ended Loans" shortly.

First, @YowieFreak - I'm double checking with the team, but I don't foresee any issue adding Expired to the list of statuses. 

Second, someone pointed out something in a private message that I wanted to bring up.  She pointed out that in the current My Loans functionality when you choose "Refunded" then the "Paid Back" column heading changes to "Refunded" and the amount is always $25.00 in her portfolio.  She pointed out that this is misleading because sometimes repayments come in before a refund occurs and therefore you may have been repaid $1.50 and refunded $23.50 (not refunded $25.00).

In a sense, this would be "fixed" in the new version simply by NOT changing the column heading to "Refunded", but rather leaving it as "Paid Back To You".  For a refunded loan, the amount returned to you, the lender, will nearly always be exactly $25.00 (unless there was also currency loss).  However, to be as clear as possible in all cases about what exactly "Paid Back To You" means, I'd like to borrow the little pop-up element from the "Recently Ended Loans" mock-up that gives you a detailed summary of exactly how the money came back in to your account (as a refund, as a repayment, etc.).

Please see updated mock-up with this latest change. 

* Portfolio_Loans_3.png (163.15 KB, 1176x855 - viewed 89 times.)
David2051
Kiva Supporter
Evansville, IN

View Profile
« Reply To This #12 on: July 20, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »

Would there / should there be an indicator that there is more detail to see in a popup?  i.e. if Paid Back to You contains something other than regular repayments?

Join Team Smile Train!  http://www.kiva.org/team/smile_train  :-)

“send a postcard and receive a postcard back from a random person somewhere in the world!” http://www.postcrossing.com/

Learn more about ovarian cancer. Educate for early detection.  http://ovariancancerin.org/

Be a bone marrow donor, save a life.  http://bit.ly/4Amit

Change a child's life, be a sponsor.  http://children.org/
Diane R
Administrator
Henderson, NV

View Profile
« Reply To This #13 on: July 20, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »

First, let me add my thanks to Kiva staffers for the opportunity to see and comment on the mock-ups before they go into production. Seeing some reasonable suggestions incorporated into the design already is a huge leap forward, and will produce a better experience for everyone, I'm sure.  I have a few comments at this point.

I'd like to revive this comment from David and add my agreement:

What is the sort order now?  The mockup says it will be by loan number.  Isn't it in the order that I make the loans now?  I think it would be very odd if I make a loan and then look here (5 minutes later) and find it two or three loans down in the list because I bought the loans "out of order".

I agree that a sort by loan number seems less than useful, perhaps mostly for those with larger portfolios who are likely to make several loans at a time, but also perhaps for those in the Late-Loaning Lenders team, who regularly select older loans to fund.  I find now when I look for a loan I've just funded in the list on My Portfolio page, it's sometimes not there, it's on Page 2 by virtue of it being an older loan (with an earlier loan number).  It would make more sense to me if the loans were displayed with the most recently funded first, in other words, sorted descending by time-stamp of loan "purchase".  This way, a lender's most recently funded loans will always appear at the top of their loan list.  I haven't worked with the API so I don't know if this is a piece of data available to the engineers;  if it is, the option to sort descending-by-loan-number could still be made available.  (If the decision is to stick with a descending-by-loan-number sort, perhaps a user preference could be offered to change that default sort for our personal portfolios.  User preferences overall would be a nice thing to offer.)

Next, I'm not sure an "ended in the past 30 days" page would be useful to me, but I've mostly stopped reviewing my recently-ended loans, so don't use me as an example.

Finally, I'm so glad to see the ability to filter portfolio loans by Field Partner, and to search the text of loans in my portfolio for specific strings.  Thank you SO MUCH for adding these improvements!
 Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up
(^ my 2 thumbs up)

--Diane.
Cailin@Kiva
Kiva Staffer

View Profile
« Reply To This #14 on: July 20, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »

@David2051 - No, there won't be any indication that some loans might have more interesting details then others.  I see what you're getting at, but I think adding any more asterix or parentheses here is going to produce a UI that is overwhelming for "average users".  However, those of you with honorary advanced degrees in Kiva should have a pretty good intuition for which loans might have more interesting payment details by looking at the status, and whether or not there is a currency loss annotation.

@DianeR - First, great to hear some appreciation for the text search and partner filter! 

Second, I completely agree that Purchase Date would be the optimal ordering for this table.  Unfortunately, Purchase Date is a property of the intersection between the Loan and a User, and we're up against a hard technical limitation here that the sort order must be on a simple property of just the Loan.  There's also a softer technical limitation that the only currently implemented sort orders are "Fundraising Date" an "Loan ID #", so those are the two that I have to choose from.  They are equivalently bad approximations of Purchase Date, and I think Loan ID# is the better of the two because at least it's a property shown in the table.

That said, if you really want to sort by Purchase Date, you can export the data and sort in Excel.  (Not terribly convenient, I know.)

Jan & John
Kiva Supporter
Calgary, Canada

View Profile
« Reply To This #15 on: July 20, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »

Thanks Cailin for the opportunity here...
I'm sitting back as usual letting others do my work...

I agree with Dan and David on the radio buttons, I really like the quick overview of my loans... without having to click or search further, so the table you have provided now seems to do the same. 

The loan sort might be ok in ID# (not sure that I use it much) except I tend to forget whether I have loaned to a particular one when I leave the tabs open... but I can always jump to My Transactions because they are time stamped.  (I need to join your team Braincrave Smiley

I definitely will appreciate the ability to search further from that point...

The ability pull up the Partner is all important because up till now there hasn't been a quick way to find my loans to a particular one and that is usually more important to me than the country.

However, I am assuming that these searches are still from all loans in the portfolio.  We have been asking for the distribution of active vs all loans.  That is still the main thing I am looking for.  (It doesn't help me to find 6 loans to one Partner, if all 6 have paid back long ago.)

thanks, and hope everyone is managing to have a good summer with all this hard work going on Smiley
-jan-

"The place God calls you to is the place where your deepest gladness and the world's deepest hunger meet" - Fredrick Buechner (in Wishful Thinking).
"Every child should be well born, well fed, well taught, well housed and well treated."
Maude Riley, Alberta Council on Child and Family Welfare 1923
"Each of us feels that we are just a drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less without that missing drop." --Mother Teresa

1 click per person per day on this link means 1 additional cent for the Fistula Foundation - thanks!
Cailin@Kiva
Kiva Staffer

View Profile
« Reply To This #16 on: July 20, 2011, 02:22:02 PM »

Hi Jan -

Thanks for joining us!

Using the new functionality you could choose Status=Paying Back and Partner=XYZ which would show you the number of active loans for a particular partner.  

However, I'm wondering if you are really asking for an improvement to the My Portfolio Distribution charts such that a) you could say "only show my active loans" and b) you could see numbers, not just percentages.  (See screenshot of the current chart that I am referring to.)  Is that what you're looking for?

(Note, now that we have the ability to filter by partner on the My Loans page, we also could do something fun like have the link in the Portfolio Distribution table go to the My Loans table automatically filtered for that particular partner.)

Cailin.

P.S.  FYI - the current, sometimes broken links to the partner pages in this table, will be fixed in the next release, on or around July 26.

* Screen shot 2011-07-20 at 3.18.48 PM.png (150.37 KB, 773x723 - viewed 80 times.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:24:31 PM by Cailin@Kiva » Logged
AccountAbility
Kiva Supporter
Friday Harbor, WA

View Profile
« Reply To This #17 on: July 20, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »

However, I'm wondering if you are really asking for an improvement to the My Portfolio Distribution charts such that a) you could say "only show my active loans" and b) you could see numbers, not just percentages.  (See screenshot of the current chart that I am referring to.)  Is that what you're looking for?

Cailin.

Since this discussion has moved to include the Portfolio Distribution Charts, I would like to again ask if the decimal detail could be reversed from the current.  Right now the Pie charts have hover-over text that takes the percentages to 2 decimal places, while the comparable linear table only takes the percentages to 1 decimal.

I think most lenders who look at the pie charts are looking for approximations (where 1 decimal is sufficient), while those who look at the linear table are looking for more precision.

Dan

P.S. I know this isn't the focus of this thread, but thought I would mention it here since the Charts were brought up.   Smiley  Cailin, you are doing a superb job at moving these design discussions toward the best results.

We are loaners!
David2051
Kiva Supporter
Evansville, IN

View Profile
« Reply To This #18 on: July 20, 2011, 06:19:25 PM »

Sorry if this might be, strictly speaking, off topic but anyway...

I wonder if a close look at this screen shot would illustrate how unsuitable a pie chart is for conveying this data.  I have the suspicion that somewhere on the web there is probably a usability guideline stating that pie charts need to be limited to 8 to 10 items.  This one has approximately 4 times as many items.  (There are 4 pages of legend.  Actually in my portfolio there are 11 pages of lengend!  Some slices are so small they are invisible!)   Any possible linkage between the items in the legend and the color slices of the pie are totally lost.  I see that Accion Texas is light blue, but looking at the pie I think there might be two or three shades of blue which I can't really distinguish, and there are nine slices altogether that might be the shade of Accion in the legend.  Maybe other eyes can distinguish these colors better, but I have no idea which slice is the one for Accion.  

Then there is the text table below the pie which is in a different sort order than the legend, and does not indicate colors at all.  From this table I can see that MCDT, PMPC and Soro Yiriwaso should all be slices of the same size since they are all 3.3%, but I have no idea what color they are to tie them to a slice of the pie.  

Of course the situation is different for each lender, but for anyone with a sizable portfolio a pie chart is not suitable for the data of sectors even, let alone countries and partners.

What is really needed to visually represent this data in a meaningful way is a bar chart with a vertically oriented text list sorted suitably, with each item in the list having a horizontal bar where the width represents the percentage of the total.  Does that make sense?  Like the kivafolio bar chart turned on its side.  Maybe I can make a mockup.  I'll try and add it here.  Sorry to be off topic...

Cailin, I think you mentioned a pet peeve at the top of this thread.  This is what happens when I get on my pet peeve!  Laugh  Laugh  Laugh Undecided

Maybe this gives an idea of what I mean.  Presented this way you can show a list of any length in a meaningful way and also represent active and paid back loans at the same time.  OK, my apologies, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:38:28 PM by David2051 » Logged

Join Team Smile Train!  http://www.kiva.org/team/smile_train  :-)

“send a postcard and receive a postcard back from a random person somewhere in the world!” http://www.postcrossing.com/

Learn more about ovarian cancer. Educate for early detection.  http://ovariancancerin.org/

Be a bone marrow donor, save a life.  http://bit.ly/4Amit

Change a child's life, be a sponsor.  http://children.org/
Diane R
Administrator
Henderson, NV

View Profile
« Reply To This #19 on: July 20, 2011, 06:38:06 PM »

I have the suspicion that somewhere on the web there is probably a usability guideline stating that pie charts need to be limited to 8 to 10 items. 

You're very close, David.  A graphics journalism text I consulted online says, "A pie chart should not have more than six or seven sections at most."  I've found several other references suggesting even fewer, but seven seems to be the max.  One reference meant to help designers produce good charts also limits the slices to five to seven and says to use a different display method if you have more than that many slices.  It suggests that with too many slices, "the chart turns from a meaningful visualization of numbers into a colorful pattern."  The visual shown in that example looks very much like the pie chart in this thread.

--Diane.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Bookmark This  |  E-Mail This  |  Print It  

Jump to: